2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Is this normal? (Transfer case related)

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2020, 09:32 AM
BorderCougah is on a distinguished road
Default Is this normal? (Transfer case related)

Hey guys.

So in the adventures of my fuel lines and the issues I had with them, I opted to remove my rear drive shaft to lower the transmission. In doing so, the tailcone of my transfercase began pissing fluid from the moment I removed the shaft from it's Internal Slip Yoke. Looked like Transmission fluid, so I'm assuming it is Transmission fluid that was in the transfercase. Except it honestly looked bright and new, yet my transmission doesn't show any loss on the dipstick (The amount lost was pretty substantial imo before I slipped the driveshaft back into the yoke to stop the fluid).

My question thus is threefold:

What fluid did the transfercases on these Blazer's typically use? Just the same as the transmission or was it a special fluid?
Does the transfercase and transmission 'Share' Fluid in a way, or are each self-contained?
Is it normal for fluid to have poured out the tailcone of the transfercase on removal of the driveshaft, or does that indicate a bad seal?

Thanks.

Old 04-19-2020, 11:36 AM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by BorderCougah

What fluid did the transfercases on these Blazer's typically use? Just the same as the transmission or was it a special fluid?
Does the transfercase and transmission 'Share' Fluid in a way, or are each self-contained?
Is it normal for fluid to have poured out the tailcone of the transfercase on removal of the driveshaft, or does that indicate a bad seal?

Thanks.
I believe the automatic (4-button) case takes a special auto-trac fluid. The regular ones take automatic transmission fluid.
Both are self-contained and sealed from each other.
Yes, totally normal. There's a special "butt plug" to keep that from happening.

Old 04-19-2020, 12:01 PM
BorderCougah is on a distinguished road

Mine's a 3 Button. NP242 If I'm not mistaken, so looks like just nomal fluid. Good to know, and to know they're self contained. I'll look into refilling the lost fluid then. Weird to see thats normal though. I owned a Jeep Grand Cherokee with I'm pretty sure the same Transfercase (Again, the NP242) and it never did that, but I guess there could be differences between the transfer cases in the vehicles beyond Mechanical vs Electronic.