2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

OBII Scan tool suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 05:40 PM
Starting Member
tazz9690 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Can D is the new network protocol (the evolution of the serial bus communications). I do not know what CANDI is... Most keyless remotes can be programmed by the end user without the need for a scan tool.
Oh okay. Thanks. It's cuz the Malibu that we have had a dead battery on the keyless entry remote with remote start and when we put in a new one, it lost the programming. so i looked on alldata and mitchell ondemand, and it says to hook up a scanner and then hook up a CANDI module to it and the scanner will go through the process of reprogramming the remote. But yeah, this is going a little off topic, but thanks for the quick response, just seeing if I could save a quick $75 for the reprogramming.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:30 PM
Biohazed is on a distinguished road

I have a Blue Point OBDII + ABS scanner which is a re-badged Innova but is an awesoome canner and it's about $230

Old 11-10-2009, 11:33 PM
dimmuborgir6nik6 is an unknown quantity at this point

I do have a laptop and was looking into the AutoEnginuity software. gotta say it looks really good. i'll def consider ordering it on my next paycheck. but first i gotta buy new shocks!

Old 12-03-2009, 12:33 PM
ironman_jk is on a distinguished road

I am looking into the AutoEnginuity software, as well. I've also been looking at AutoTap and Auterra. First, does anyone know of others that compare to these or should be considered? I've read in previous posts that AutoTap was better than AutoEnginuity from the standpoint of customization and ease of use when diagnosing. I also saw that the downside of AutoTap was that it can only read enhanced powertrain information and cannot tap into the abs, climate control, BCM, airbag, etc. What are the other pros and cons to these?

Old 12-03-2009, 01:14 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I have had them both and I would not go back to the Autotap for the sole reason that Autotap cannot communicate with serial bus devices (SRS, door modules, instrument cluster, ABS, BCM, climate control, etc). I loved the Autotap for its configuration flexibility and it did log data quite well, however, the major down fall was that it could not access the other systems in the vehicle like the AutoEnginuity scan tool could.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:54 AM
ironman_jk is on a distinguished road

What don't you like about AutoEnginuity? What downfalls does it have? Is there anything you haven't been able to diagnose with it?

Old 12-14-2009, 07:10 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Considering that I have the original AutoEnginuity USB adapter cable, I am stuck at v5 of their software. On older GM vehicles, I have been able to do CASE learns, access ABS, SIR, BCM, door modules, liftgate modules, ECU, etc with ease and perform pretty much all of the checks required for diagnosis of many different problems.

Now though, my 2004 Rainier is not fully covered by the v5 software. I need to update to the ProLine adapter to get coverage. I can do some things with my '04 Rainier, but not all. Data logging is also hindered. Worked great on my old 2000 Bravada.

As far as what I do not like, well, the interface isn't as configurable as the Autotap interface. Other than the fact that they updated their hardware (shame on them!), the interface is the only other thing that is a bit lacking. If I had never used the Autotap, I wouldn't have known.