2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Oil Cooler Lines Repair

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 01:03 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough
Default Oil Cooler Lines Repair

I've been searching for a little while now. Can't seem to find the thread for fixing the oil cooler lines up to stop leaking permanently. Anyone have the link? Will want to do this when the engine is out this time.

Thanks in advance,

Les

Old 03-23-2015, 03:26 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

This thread will give you some ideas: https://blazerforum.com/forum/articl...il-line-29898/

Forgot to take pix of the other line, so when I did this one, I got 'em. This is the line that runs from the remote filter mount to the radiator. Procedure is the same for the other line. Did this several years, and several thousand miles ago, still bone dry.
Name:  DSC_0001-Copy.jpg
Views: 1518
Size:  66.6 KB

Old 03-23-2015, 06:45 PM
Starting Member
Bagherra is on a distinguished road

Cap'n, where did you get the replacement line? IS that line fabricated or can it or bought as is?

Old 03-23-2015, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
This thread will give you some ideas: https://blazerforum.com/forum/articl...il-line-29898/
Forgot to take pix of the other line, so when I did this one, I got 'em. This is the line that runs from the remote filter mount to the radiator. Procedure is the same for the other line. Did this several years, and several thousand miles ago, still bone dry.
Thanks - exactly what I was looking for.

Les

Old 03-23-2015, 07:29 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

The line with the compression fittings on each end was made up at a parts store. Guaranteed to 3000psi. 80psi of oil pressure shouldn't bother it

If you have lines made, make sure the line is rated for motor oil, not hydraulic fluid.

Last edited by Captain Hook; 03-23-2015 at 07:31 PM.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
The line with the compression fittings on each end was made up at a parts store. Guaranteed to 3000psi. 80psi of oil pressure shouldn't bother it
If you have lines made, make sure the line is rated for motor oil, not hydraulic fluid.
Thanks Captain!

Old 03-24-2015, 06:10 PM
Beginning Member
zigzag is on a distinguished road

get rid of the quick connects all together they are problematic, get some transmission hose, cut the old ones off to the metal, clean em up, run new lengths of tran hose on em and use two hose clamps on each spot you have to clamp em, do the same all around, to the rad and transmission on each hose you shouldnt have a problem after that, i believe there is threads on that here thats where i read it from, or just buy new lines and quick connects, but the quick connects will eventually start leaking again

Old 03-25-2015, 01:52 AM
Toby Hanson will become famous soon enough

Hey Cap'n! Spring has come to the Pacific Northwest and it's time for me to replace the oil lines on my wife's '00 Blazer. They're pretty leaky. I really appreciate you sharing the info on how the replacement lines were made and how it all went together. I saved the lines from my '98 Jimmy so I could build a spare set of lines and swap them out all at once.

Old 03-25-2015, 09:16 PM
Beginning Member
blazer47 is on a distinguished road

we presently own 3 blazers 95 00 and 04 I've replaced the front ones myself multiple times. the one going from the filter to the block I've had done on a lift and the motor has to be raised. my neighbor did it once for me (he's a service manager at our local chevy dealer) he did it in his garage and he told me if his mother needed it done he'd refer her to a shop with a lift.

my whole hearted suggestion is to get parts from the dealer and no where else as any knockoff or gypsy brand is not worth the price. once these things have over 125-175 k miles on them the originals start to weep or worse just blow. yes and luckily I was driving and not my wife as I shut it down within seconds.

Old 03-26-2015, 05:55 PM

OEM oil cooler lines, without a doubt, are the worst offenders on these vehicles. Dorman is a little better, and they have a lifetime guarantee. That doesn't mean they won't leak, they will If you want the leaks to stop once and for all, you need to modify them. No need to buy new lines, just modify your existing ones. There are several ways to do it, and depending on which way you choose, they should never leak. The engine does need to be lifted, but only an inch, and it's no big deal. The whole job can be done in under 2 hours.

Quick Reply: Oil Cooler Lines Repair