2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 04:01 PM
614blazer is on a distinguished road
Question oil leak

ok my 98 blazer lt 4x4 is leaking oil. so i already replaced the front main seal along with the timing chain cover gasket. cause it was leaking from the front before so i replaced them two. but when i took the cover off the oil pan gasket came out of place so when i put the cover back on i put the oil pan seal back in place so i thought it be okay. but now its still leaking from the front. but the question is there is oil all over my oil lines the fron and bottom of my oil pan so i cleaned it all off and let it run but no leak so i drove it for a few mins and samething oil all over the oil lines and pan. couls it be my cooler lines leaking. the oil pan gasket or front main seal again. just confused where to start and limited on money and dont want to throw parts in if it aint the right parts thats leaking. need help. what can i look into............ it only seems to leak while driving and if i let it sit oil drips mainly toward the front of the truck......... sorry for the long thread...

Old 01-05-2012, 09:18 PM
Starting Member
Gale is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy GM oil cooler lines are leakers.

List: Search for '625-122' | O'Reilly Auto Parts

A new set of lines from from the engine to the radiator are $44 at O'Reilly Auto Parts. On three GM vehicles ours leak at the rubber to metal line connection but they should not be spraying oil.

We did not pull the timing chain cover when we replaced the oil pan/rear main seals when we stripped down the replacement engine to long block level and came back with new gasket set.

Tomorrow I will try to remember and look at the timing chain cover off the old engine. My 14 year old son is taking the pulled engine apart piece by piece for wrenching skills.

I was very interesting to look at the timing chain after 524K miles of use expecting it be all worn out but it was in fine condition with no teeth wear and the chain not all that loose.

Have you found where the oil is getting out to any degree yet? To test the hoses as the source wrap the connection points with an old cotton rag, etc and duck tape so it can not get sucked up into the fan then go for a drive. If there is no oil spray then it is the oil cooler lines I expect. If there is a pin hole you will need to replace or seal with a clamp if possible.

Old 01-06-2012, 03:51 PM

when i wiped all the oil off till it was clean. i started the truck and let it idle and went up under and looked while it was running and nothing so i was like wtf. so i drove it for about 5 min and looked under and damn it oil all over the bottom of my motor toward the front oil on the cooler lines and oil on the front and bottom of my oil pan but no oil on my trans pan but a lil on the bell housing. so idk im going to replace the cooler lines from the motor to the filter and filter to the radiator. and go from there. i only see a couple of drips on my driveway most toward the front and by the oil pan. so if it is the cooler lines they probaly leak while driving and oil blows back as im driving im hoping its the cooler lines. i hate my truck leaking oil....

Old 01-06-2012, 03:54 PM

off subject. i had to replace my rad cause it blew out and my truck over heated a little so i replaced the radiator. and then i had to replace the head gaskets cause my oil was milky. so i had my uncles buddy do the heads cause i didnt have time. so he had the heads checked to make sure they was okay. they checked good. so he replaced the head gasket and intake gasket. but ever since that my truck is using coolant i have to fill my overflow about once a month. its not leaking from the motor nor the radiator or connections so what can cause it to use coolant oil is good not milky. is it possible a bad head gasket job???

Old 01-06-2012, 08:23 PM
Starting Member
98blazin is on a distinguished road

bad intake gasket.
its burning coolant, and if you wait too much, coolant will get in the oil again and ruin your engine...

Old 01-07-2012, 03:43 PM

its not leaking from nor my upper or lower intake gasket. can it still be bad and how...

Old 01-07-2012, 07:18 PM
Starting Member
98blazin is on a distinguished road

it can be bad, and burning the coolant.
if it does not burn a lot, it wont smoke and you will not see it.

you need to do a pressure test and see if it holds pressure.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:32 PM

thanks my buddy smelled my exhaust and he said its burning coolant a little. and i am also lacking power a little bit. can a bad intake causae lack of power. me and my buddy changed his intake on his mustang 3.8l lower and upper and hes got alot of power gain back.