2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Oil Lines, Oil Filter Housing Need Replaced... Mieneke says almost $700

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 05:15 AM
Tobashadow is on a distinguished road

There seems to be enough flat metal there good left on the housing behind the filter to drill and add on a flat piece of metal on to the housing to get to the bolts on the plate and secure it good.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:21 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah. If you can't find a one new or a good one from a junkyard, then you may have to find a way to secure the one you have. A large band strap could be passed over the entire thing, bracket and all, to secure it.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:40 AM
Mike98Blazer will become famous soon enough

If you have all the pieces (you probably don't because they fell off but hey it's worth a mention) you could have it tig welded back together.

Another option could be making a new bracket (or having a machine or welding shop make you one) and having THAT tig welded on.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:35 AM
Beginning Member
cahlersmeyer is on a distinguished road

I weighed my options and decided a new housing was the best route, as opposed to making the old one work with a clamp or band.

Called the dealer ship here in Muncie, said they could have the part by tomorrow. He charged a little over $100, but I talked him down to $80 + tax.

Also ordered new lines from O'Rielly, they were $52 and change.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:19 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Mike98Blazer
If you have all the pieces (you probably don't because they fell off but hey it's worth a mention) you could have it tig welded back together.

Another option could be making a new bracket (or having a machine or welding shop make you one) and having THAT tig welded on.
Gotta feeling that shop would decline the job. The alloys in things like that are often unfriendly to good welding job. Beside's it's overkill.

A. Grind a flat adjacent to broken ear, drill through and relocate bolt.
- OR.. IMO better -
B. Make a step clamp from heavy stock (or grind away some junk piece you have lying around) to look like this:
That leg should be just a little bit longer than the ear is thick, so it wont try to 'walk off' the housing.

Attached Thumbnails Oil Lines, Oil Filter Housing Need Replaced... Mieneke says almost 0-step_clamp.jpg  
Old 11-09-2011, 09:26 AM
Smitty Smithsonite is on a distinguished road

I guess I'm too late. I have that housing - that's the lower front one right? I would have shipped it to you for half that.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:43 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Smitty Smithsonite
I guess I'm too late. I have that housing - that's the lower front one right? I would have shipped it to you for half that.
Well sh*t lol

I'm just glad I'll have the part in hand tomorrow. Shouldn't take more than an hour or two to do the housing and hoses.

Got the lines and other stuff, just waiting on the housing/adapter to come in tomorrow

Btw, anyone know what this is? I noticed it when I looked under the truck this morning in the sunlight? Its attached to the sway bar... looks busted

Last edited by swartlkk; 11-09-2011 at 04:36 PM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit function to add additional information in your post if another member has yet to respond.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:43 PM
blazerls1999 is on a distinguished road

I would stay away fronm the Dorman o/c lines. I had them on mine didn't even last a year. It's better to pay the extra and go with OE

Old 11-10-2011, 08:47 AM
Beginning Member

Should I try and clean some of the oil spray off the surrounding parts? What's the best way to do that?

Old 11-10-2011, 09:15 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by cahlersmeyer
Should I try and clean some of the oil spray off the surrounding parts? What's the best way to do that?
self service car wash

Quick Reply: Oil Lines, Oil Filter Housing Need Replaced... Mieneke says almost $700