2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Oil pump removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007 | 05:29 PM
gtseater is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Oil pump removal

I have a 95 s10 blazer 2WDanyone know to take the oil pump off without taking the motor out ??

Old 12-12-2007 | 06:17 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Oil pump removal

You may be able to jack the motor up and remove the oil pan. Once the oil pan is off, you can remove the oil pump. You just have to be careful when you put the new pump back in that you get the drive engaged on the bottom of the distributor properly.

Old 12-12-2007 | 06:20 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately I think you have to lift the engine on the 2wd's because the frame member is in the way of removing the oil pan. 4wd's don't have to lift it.

Old 12-12-2007 | 09:39 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

^ I think you got that backwards.

Old 12-13-2007 | 10:19 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Ummm, I don't think so, at least not according to the Chevy shop manual.

Old 12-13-2007 | 10:23 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

That shop manual didn't happen to mention removing the front axle as a single step at the beginning did it? For both the 4wd and 2wd, the motor mount cross bolts will have to be removed and the engine jacked up as high as it can go (the transmission will hit the underside of the truck). This will be the most room you can get to take things apart.

And this is only speaking of the '97 (I think) and older trucks as newer than that and they have a cast aluminum oil pan that requires the transmission be free of the engine for removal and installation due to the structural nature of the pan.

Old 12-13-2007 | 10:37 AM
BF Guru

Oh, yeah, it specifies removing quite a bit of the underside of the truck on the 4wd, but does not mention lifting the engine like it specifies for the 2wd. It's the dvd version of the manual. I was thinking you have a copy of that, also, don't you?

Old 12-14-2007 | 09:50 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

I have never seen the DVD version.

I only know from taking hte engine out whats in the way of the oil pan.[8D]

Old 12-14-2007 | 10:29 PM
gtseater is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks For all your help . I may take the body and lift it off the frame so i don't have totake the motor out

Old 12-15-2007 | 04:44 PM
BF Veteran

Lifting the body wont do any good.

The oil pan is trapped between the engine and the front axle/front frame cross member.

The front axle has to come out, and the engine has to go up. OR take the engine out. Its not that hard, just time consuming.
To get the engine out you only need to disconnect teh tranny, exhaust system, fuel lines, electrical harnesses, cooling system, and take the a/c and power steering units off the engine. Tehy can lay in the truck out of the way. It's much easier to take the hood off too.