2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Overheating and dying up steep hills high altitude

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 09:33 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

I havent seen any references to checking for pending codes or doing actual readout of MAP to see if it sees the actual barometric pressure at your altitude and then reflect manifold vacuum - running.
Or ECT and IAT temps to see they're right on.
Sorry but you cant assume these things are good by pulling them out and looking at them
If you ask, I bet the AZ guys can at least check the MAP and ECT real time. IAT would be approx because of underhood heat. MAF should just be written down as there's a big range there.
Also have you tried disconnecting the MAF whil ein the problem zone? While engine off so ECM can see its not there on startup.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:29 AM
Beginning Member
wallacereid is on a distinguished road

Tom,

We have had it to the Chvey dealer on two separate occations. They have had every tech in the shop looking at it.....nothing....they were convinced that the CAT was plugged, so when we had it removed (and the problem persisted), they just gave us our money back, told us to go away, and insisted that the engine was just a bad design....so we just gave up since it drives perfectly in town...so we just live with a sore neck (from the hard shifting), and drive slow...hahahahahaha

Old 05-07-2012, 08:26 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by wallacereid
...We have had it to the Chvey dealer on two separate occations. They have had every tech in the shop looking at it.....nothing.... insisted that the engine was just a bad design...
I agree there's something bad here, but it's not the design of the engine. If you have the tools, and want to do the work yourself, we can help you diagnose it.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:30 PM
Beginning Member
wallacereid is on a distinguished road

Thanks captain....we would like too. I called the shop with the best reputation in town (Johns 4x4, boulder, co), and they had no idea what barometric pressure readings were. The engine is basically good, but has a secret that we have not found. Earlier, (another thread), you had suggested having the shop check the timing of the valves and the spark, but they did not know how to do that either, so we decided it was too complicated. It's my son's car, and we had decided to sell for better mileage, but he does'nt seem to want to let it go, and I like spending the time with him.

We are tool deficient, but can rent them.

To recap, the issues are.

1. Hard shift, and the immediate bog down. Spends too much energy getting to the shift, and then nothing after the shift.

2. No power in 3rd, it must downshift to 2nd to achieve a small hill.

There are other issues (ABS, no CAT) but those are not important (now)

To recap, the tranny was replaced (at a dealer) 40K ago with a remanufactured one with a 30K warranty, however the fluid is slightly dark. We took it to aamco (honest), and we discovered the ABS fuse was removed. They theorized the TCC switch was not getting the information it should because the fuse was removed, and therefore, started burning up the transmission, or torque converter. However, it was declared working properly until it broke. We put some Lucas in it and decided to drive it till it broke. Other than a hard, late, shift, it works fine. We believe the problem to be outside the transmission itself.

So we suspect the lack of power issue is what is causing the tranny issues, and we are looking for that, since that is the most aggrevating, especially in the mountains. If the tranny breaks, we can just replace that.

If we can go one step at a time, I would welcome your help.

Last edited by wallacereid; 05-08-2012 at 12:34 PM.