2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Popping from driver's door?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2024 | 06:19 PM
|
Beginning Member
JasonL is on a distinguished road
Default Popping from driver's door?

Hello, all. While I wait for the weather to warm up a bit before putting in my blower motor, I thought I'd ask another silly question...

(2004 4dr rwd, 56k miles)

My blazer is pretty much silent except for a popping sound that seems to be coming from near the driver's side front door while driving. It sounds very similar to the popping sound when a door is opened. If I brake hard, or immediately let off the brake, or travel over very uneven road, I get pops that sounds like it's coming from the hinge area of the door. If I go over something like a speed bump, there's usually not a pop.

I think it's something to do with the door hinges, because I used to get this popping on all four doors, but liberal amounts of lithium grease seemed to silence the other three doors. The driver's door remains stubborn, though.

Playing the game of "what looks different between these doors" I noticed that the driver's side door roller is much more crooked than the passenger side. However, if I open the door and try picking it up from the end furthest from the hidge, I just rock the vehicle, so there's very little play in the hinges, at least while the door is open.

So, before I go and try to figure out how to replace door hinge parts, has anyone had a worn door hinge roller cause their door to make a pop while driving? Or should I be looking for something else?

I've attached a picture of the driver's upper hinge.

Old 01-19-2024 | 07:45 AM
|
Beginning Member

Well, some good news this morning! I once again applied some lithium grease to the driver's side door, and the pop while driving went away. The pop while opening and closing the door also went away.

My guess is my pins are juuuust starting to wear out enough for the door to make a pop while driving. So sometime in the future I'll look at replacing them. For now I'll see how long the grease keeps things quiet.

Old 01-19-2024 | 02:23 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the update!

Old 01-24-2024 | 06:39 PM
LannyL81 will become famous soon enough

Just an FYI: replacing the door pins/bushings is actually pretty easy, as long as you have the tool to compress the spring. Yes it is likely a one-time usage, but suggest getting one as it makes the job so much easier and quicker.

Old 01-31-2024 | 08:30 AM
|
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by LannyL81
Just an FYI: replacing the door pins/bushings is actually pretty easy, as long as you have the tool to compress the spring. Yes it is likely a one-time usage, but suggest getting one as it makes the job so much easier and quicker.
Yep, I plan to get that spring tool. Just need to wait for the next long weekend!