2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Possible Tranfer Case Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 04:09 PM
wickedrigs is on a distinguished road
Default Possible Tranfer Case Issue?

Hey All, I am new to the Blazerforum and am also a new owner of a 2001 Blazer LT. It has 111,000 miles on it with the 4.3L motor. The interior is clean and has new brakes, shocks, and decent tires. I just finished changing the oil, spark plugs, and wires...the plugs gave me hell. I also plan on doing the front/rear differental fluid...oh ya, I bought it for $300.00.

Problem with it is, that the owner assumed that the transmission was shot. He told me to come haul it to scrap and he would split it with me or give him $300.00 and I could have it. Knowing that the vehicle would not go into reverse and wasn't sure how many miles it will go in any of the forward gears, I have begun diagnosing this vehicle and started the tear down. The Blazer did not have any DTC codes. The oil was fair to bad. The plugs needed changed.

I noticed when I pulled the vehicle into the shop, that it was in 4-Low. I placed the transmission into neutral and tried to select 2-Hi. I tried this multiple times without any luck. I am beginning to think that the transfer case may be shot and it may not be the transmission....and this is why I came to you guys. Does anyone know how I can diagnose this issue prior to dropping the transmission? When I pulled the trans dip-stick, the fluid didn't look horrible and didn't smell burnt. Any advice would be great, Thanks in advance!!!

Old 03-29-2011, 05:18 PM
wickedrigs is on a distinguished road

**UPDATE**

I lifted the rear axle off of the ground and blocked the front tires. Placed the selector into neutral and hit the 2-HI button. After some clicking and what not, she is now in 2-HI. I am guessing the tranny is shot. Looks like I can start ripping her out now. Thoughts on this? Any tips or tricks? I know that I will have to remove the exhaust to get this done...think I am going to do a Magnaflow exhaust and some cat-simulators to get rid of them.