General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

What do i use in my tranfer case

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 04:27 PM
KiddBlazer1983 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What do i use in my tranfer case

Well its about time 2 change fluid in my transfer case and i was wondering what i should go with. It is a 2000 ls 4door 4x4. Most people use dexron3 but i saw some posts about this blue stuff and i was just wondering what to use. And if it is harmful if it has the red and u switch 2 the blue. Btw New memer Hi Everyone

Old 05-25-2006, 04:32 PM
Default RE: What do i use in my tranfer case

almost forgot auto transmission

Old 05-25-2006, 04:35 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

GM recommends the Autotrac II fluid to cure some issues that may develope overtime if regular tranny fluid is used.

Effective with vehicle production in late June of 1999, all active transfer cases on the above listed vehicles have been filled with Autotrak(R) II fluid, P/N 12378508 (P/N 10953626 in Canada).
From GMPartsDirect.com, GM list for Autotrac II is ~$7/qt and their cost is ~$4+s&h, but call your local dealership first for pricing before ordering online.

As far as problems that could arise from using dextron III, well, if you have RPO NP4 or NP8 (both active transfer cases), you could get some shudder while turning tight or while just turning on dry pavement.

You will need ~4qts to refill your t-case. For the price and quantity, I won't be messing around with tranny fluid for mine. Especially not given the price of replacing/rebuilding my t-case!

Old 05-25-2006, 09:28 PM

Any thing else
I should Be Aware of or look for

Old 05-26-2006, 08:33 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: KiddBlazer1983

Any thing else
I should Be Aware of or look for
If you are just servicing the tcase... Not really. Drain and refill. If you aren't experiencing any problems or issues, I would just put in the Autotrac II fluid and go on with life.

You may also want to service the front and rear diffs while your under there changing out fluids. Inspect your brake lines/hoses, parking brake cables, drive shaft universal joints, front axle cv joints, and your brake pads/rotors for signs of wear/failure.

I need to atleast check my front diff level sometime soon. It was completely rebuilt right after I purchased the truck (dealerships expense) so it's got fresh oil in it, but just need to check the levels. Also need to service the tcase like you're doing now.

Old 05-28-2006, 09:28 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

I just use Dextron III tranny fluid in my t-cases. My t-cases are part time units. AWD uses a different fluid, that Autotrack stuff. It has a limited slip addative. You don't need the addative on a part time t-case.

Old 05-28-2006, 09:32 PM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road

I have a 4 button P/T 4 wheel drive too. It was difficult to fill my T case. I had the driver side of the Blazer on ramps to try to figure a way to pour the fluid in. I decided to purchase a hand siphon pump online and inserted the fluid that way. (all fours on level ground of course!)

Old 05-29-2006, 02:25 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

I cut the side out of a gear oil bottle. From the handle back to the bottom. Laid it on the ground and filled it with tranny fluid. Took the cap off, tipped the bottle and she filled up. Of coarse it took me 4-5 refills to fill her up.

Old 05-29-2006, 12:59 PM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road

Nice improvision Hanr3.