2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Power cuts when trying to start

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 09:30 AM
Beginning Member
DBlaser_ca is an unknown quantity at this point

I've got a 1997 Chev Blazer, 4.3L Vortec V6, 4x4, that is having a bit of a stupid problem.

When I put the key into the ignition and turn it to the "on" position, I get dash lights and power comes on just fine. I can hear the fuel pump in the tank priming the lines, everything seems fine.

As soon as I turn the key to the "start" position, all power dies, the ignition locks and I cannot remove the key. After about 5 minutes, power comes back online and the ignition unlocks so that I can remove the key without problems.

I've already tried putting a battery charger on the truck and charging the power back up to full in the battery. The battery itself is only about 1 year old.

What would be causing this? Why wouldn't I be able to remove the key when this happens?

Bit of an addition...

I put the battery charger onto the truck a few minutes ago and the charger says it had 12.5V and 85% of charge when connected to the positive and to the engine block. When I turned the key and tried to start it dropped off to nothing, read 0.5V and 0% of charge.

Last edited by rriddle3; 03-01-2010 at 12:26 PM. Reason: COMBINING CONSECUTIVE POSTS
Old 03-01-2010, 12:25 PM
beefgravy is on a distinguished road

Sounds like a couple of dead cells, or you may have a a short in the main lead in the truck, like the lead is grounding out against the frame rail and causing the battery to short out. Could be as simple as build up on the terminals too.

I would not leave it in the truck unattended as it may cause a fire if it is grounding out

Old 03-01-2010, 12:28 PM
Beginning Member

Replace the battery, then?

Old 03-01-2010, 12:54 PM

At the very least let a local shop test all the cells, they can put it under a load to do this and see if it the cells. If it is ok then my guess would be a short in the main, not the ground most likely the positive lead. Follow it down (battery disconntected!) with your hand and see if you can feel a crack or some of the rubber missing. Climb under and look at the connections on the starter, do they look burnt? See a place where they are arching?

If none of this works out, it could be more in the wiring harness and may take a shop to fix. I hope not.

Old 03-01-2010, 03:06 PM
Beginning Member

I'll get the battery over for testing tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion.

If anyone else has an idea, please feel free to shout it out.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:30 AM
Beginning Member

*hanging head in shame*

So as it turns out, it was a problem at the battery, but not with the battery itself.

When I went to remove the battery from the truck to take it over to my local Canadian Tire, it turns out that the positive lead had some white powder that had formed on it. I cleaned it all off with the wire brush attachment of my Dremmel and re-connected the lead and it started right up.

I should have thought of that.. and feel pretty silly admitting that I didn't check that.

*hangs head in shame*

Thanks for the help, beefgravy!

Dave

Old 03-03-2010, 10:32 PM

Oh no problem at all... We have all been there. I am just glad you are up and running!