2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Power door lock driving me crazy

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 01:05 AM
medo8102 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Power door lock driving me crazy

I have 98 jimmy SLE 4 doors, the other day I open it by the after market keyless, after I drove it the door lock stopped working from the switches and the keyless remote, when I hit the switch clicking sound coming from underneath gauge panel but the actual lock doesn't open or close, and if I use the remote same clicking noise plus the flashing lights come on just like the normal operation but the lock doesn't open and close as well, anyway the hitch glass door still open and close by both switch and remote, but still the back door won't lock by the remote and of course the problem is I can close the whole 4 doors manually but I can't do the same on the back door as it doesn't have another option.
I tried to follow the noise underneath the panel in the dash board, removed all the dash board parts but can't reach it, I think there is a whole group of relays around the steering arm looks like the clicking sound comes from there, but if I still remember the sound is normal and it should comes together with the locks open or close, the fuses all fine.

What is the problem with my jimmy?

Old 11-21-2012, 02:52 AM
247monster will become famous soon enough

theres 3 relays in your glove box ....i think one is for door locks...then one for the fuel pump and a third for headlights...
or its a relay in the fuse pannel ...

...awh i cant remeber lol been a long night at work...but im thinkin its a relay if its working once then tripping it and not working again
not sure if im that much help right now haha but im tryin

Old 11-21-2012, 07:49 AM

Come on guys, thanks for the previous reply , but I need more details, do the relays gone bad even if am hearing clicking sound?

Old 11-22-2012, 02:08 PM

Today the right back window stopped working, from both side from the driver and passenger seat... Help!!

Old 11-23-2012, 10:53 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

Ahh...the problems with aftermarket alarms...
The installers usually put the electronics under the steering column...along with the relay(s). The relay may be clicking, but the wiring has probably come loose.

All I can suggest is removing the trim panel under the steering column and check all the connections. I have no knowledge of relays behind the glove box.

My other suggestion is to remove the aftermaket alarm and go back to the factory one. I had to do this when the one in my '02 triggered the siren but would not shut off and disabled the ignition. Best thing I ever did....got a replacement key fob off of ebay, took 2 minutes to program....works 100%.

Good luck on yours.

Old 11-23-2012, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by LannyL81
Ahh...the problems with aftermarket alarms...
The installers usually put the electronics under the steering column...along with the relay(s). The relay may be clicking, but the wiring has probably come loose.

All I can suggest is removing the trim panel under the steering column and check all the connections. I have no knowledge of relays behind the glove box.

My other suggestion is to remove the aftermaket alarm and go back to the factory one. I had to do this when the one in my '02 triggered the siren but would not shut off and disabled the ignition. Best thing I ever did....got a replacement key fob off of ebay, took 2 minutes to program....works 100%.

Good luck on yours.

Totally right about the relay location coz the sound coming from the side of the steering column, and I found it there when I did open the dash board, and am not sure if it is bad since its clicking or that has nothing to do with the function?

Any way I found another relays behind the glove box but I have no idea what's that for. Still confused, I think I will take it to an electration coz am not good with the security system, am much better with the mechanic field.

Last edited by medo8102; 11-23-2012 at 08:33 PM.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:12 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

I was trying to say that the relay may be clicking...but the wires that connect to the relay for the door locks may be loose.
Perhaps I should start at the beginning as I have no idea of what you know:
a relay is just a switch; when it clicks it has switched the contacts to the other position....OFF to ON.
so the wires that tell the relay to switch are separate from the wires that turn something ON. It is these wires that could be loose which is why the door lock operation is changing.

Now it could also be the Body Control Module (BCM) within the vehicle is failing. This controls door locks, odometer, dome light, etc.....lots of things.

Are the door locks the only thing that is acting strange?

Taking the vehicle to an alarm installer might be the best thing to do. Probably only take them an hour or less to fix.