2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Pre-purchase inspection results

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 07:52 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

Yes $500 is a pretty good price, but is still going to cost alot to get everything fixed by a shop.

Lucky it is a 2wd so replacing the oil pan and front cover gaskets are much easier...will also need to replace the front cover itself as it is plastic. Which also requires a Relearn cycle be performed as the crank position sensor will be changed along with the front cover.

Upper control arms bushings...also cheaper/easier due to coil springs and not torsion rods, install new upper ball joints when control arms are out.

Transmission will need to be dropped to replace the engine rear main seal, but sounds like the trans is coming out anyways for repair/replacement.

Brakes...just replace the calipers with rebuilt ones.

Pitman arm...probably just do a complete steering linkage replacement and be done with it: innear + outer tie rod ends, both arms. Should likely need lower ball joints as well.

Plugs, wires, rotor, cap: only use Delco for rotor & cap. Also need to check distributor shaft bushings for wear. New distributor with aluminum housing is only about $60 to replace the stock plastic housing one that is $100's.

Going to cost ALOT to make this into a daily driver, but once done should be a very reliable vehicle.

Good luck and if you could post back what the total cost is....curious.

Old 02-14-2015, 06:46 PM
BirchyBoy is on a distinguished road

Still haven't gone through the process of getting the title yet, so nothing has been accomplished except for an emissions test. It passed! We're doing the title and stuff on Wednesday.

I made the appointment for the 23rd to have the motor mounts, oil pan gasket and rear main seal done. The estimate is $1,700. It's a lot, but I'll still be in it for well below book value. I'll do the rest of the repairs myself, keeping the cost down as much as possible.

Old 02-24-2015, 08:57 PM

So I had the major work done yesterday and today. Here's what was done:

Pulled the engine
Replaced both motor mounts
Replaced the oil pan gasket
Replaced the rear main seal
Replaced the oil cooler line gaskets
Replaced the oil filter housing gasket
Transmission fluid service

The tech noted that not all the wiring was attached. It took him a while to figure out where some of them went. They also replaced the distributor rotor while they were in there.

The total for all of this was $1,900. The "good" news is that the noise in the front end going over harsh bumps seems to have disappeared. I'm wondering if the noise was actually the motor banging because of the busted mount. All that is left, assuming the bushings don't need to be fixed, is 4 tires, rear brakes and a power steering line leak. I'll knock the brakes and p/s leak out over the next couple months. Brakes first, for sure. As of now, it's my daily driver.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:31 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

Wow!...all labor, small amount in parts...but oh well....got those things done.

Keep us informed as to what you find & do.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by LannyL81
Wow!...all labor, small amount in parts...but oh well....got those things done.

Keep us informed as to what you find & do.
Will do. It is running smooth like butter now!

Old 02-27-2015, 02:00 PM

4 new Michelin LTS M/S2's put on today at Discount Tire. Runs and drive smooth as butter now

Old 02-28-2015, 09:38 AM
Starting Member
Bagherra is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by BirchyBoy
So I had the major work done yesterday and today. Here's what was done:

Pulled the engine
Replaced both motor mounts
Replaced the oil pan gasket
Replaced the rear main seal
Replaced the oil cooler line gaskets
Replaced the oil filter housing gasket
Transmission fluid service

The tech noted that not all the wiring was attached. It took him a while to figure out where some of them went. They also replaced the distributor rotor while they were in there.

The total for all of this was $1,900. The "good" news is that the noise in the front end going over harsh bumps seems to have disappeared. I'm wondering if the noise was actually the motor banging because of the busted mount. All that is left, assuming the bushings don't need to be fixed, is 4 tires, rear brakes and a power steering line leak. I'll knock the brakes and p/s leak out over the next couple months. Brakes first, for sure. As of now, it's my daily driver.

Sounds like a Saturday afternoon with a case of beer...

Old 02-28-2015, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Bagherra
Sounds like a Saturday afternoon with a case of beer...
If you also have an engine hoist and know how