2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Problem Solved!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 12:03 PM
Beginning Member
Red 96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Problem Solved!!!

OK, I wanted to update my saga, and wasn't sure if I should update the other thread or start a new one, so forgive me if I'm doing this all wrong.
First off, thank all of you very much for the help.
Yesterday morning I was talking to a friend of mine, and he has a 96 GMC Jimmy, and it's currently down waiting for a transmission, and in talking he offered to loan me his PCM to try in mine.
So he brought it over, and I performed the same tests as I had done on my original PCM, and it looked more like I thought it should, or at least as much as I could tell anyway.
So I took it out for a test drive with the scantool hooked up, and the TPS response was much higher than with the old PCM, I actually saw 3.7v under hard acceleration.
I never got the chance to watch it under WOT, but so far I'm very optomistic that a PCM replacement will get her back on the road.
We drove it to town yesterday and again today, and the darn truck runs like a beast!
So far the coolant looks good, no apparent leaking, no smoking at all, engine starts right up and runs very smooth, and acceleration is smooth and responsive.
One more troubling question though: I had changed the oil after the initial work was done, because there was gasoline in the crankcase.
Yesterday, I thought I could once again smell gas in the oil, so I changed it again.
Is it possible that the PCM misreading the TPS could have been flooding the engine, contaminating the oil with gasoline?
With a new Delphi fuel spider I wouldn't think that would be leaking, but I guess anything's possible.
And after all the work I did, but before the replacement PCM, the engine ran terrible, and would always stall whenever I attempted to accelerate, so I'm thinking flooding.
So now I just need to pick up a PCM and get it programmed and I should be back in business.
My wife really wants her truck back.
Thanks again to all here for the help.