2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Problems with my first Blazer.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 10:45 PM
cjbs blazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Problems with my first Blazer.

Hello All,
In May I bought my 1st Blazer. It is a Black 2004 LS, 2dr, 4x4, with a spare tire rack on the back. It had 37100 miles on it when I bought it. I really like this truck. I want to keep it til it dies, but it seems to want to commit suicide. With-in the first 3000 miles of owning it the oil-cooler lines started to leak, so I had them fixed. Then in November the oil pan seal failed so I had it fixed. A week later thepower steering fluid started leaking, so I had that fixed. Two weeks after that the thermostat housing failed and I had antifreeze all over my drive, so I toldmyChevy Dealer that this was getting frustrating, especially since this is a truck with only 46,000 miles now. They were very nice about it and towed it and fixed it free of charge. Now about two and a half months and 1000 miles after the last leak, my Blazer has anotherfluidleak. It looks like oil and it is leaking off the oil pan.

I really like this Blazer, and I'd like to keep it for a long while. I have one question for all of you experienced Blazer owners. Is it normal for Blazers to leak fluids this much? I mean why are all the gaskets and seals blowing? The "AutoCheck.com" (very similar to CarFax.com) gave this Blazer a high grade. I have an extended warrenty through my dealer, but it only covers so much. I paid out of pocket when the oil cooler lines blew because they aren't covered by my warrenty. Besides the free fix my dealer gave me, the other two leaks cost me $100 each because of my warrenty's deductable. I love driving my Blazer, but I hate paying so much to keep it together.

I really hope my sweet ride will one day quit filling my dead cat's litter pan with fluids.

PS. Oh yeah, I bought some new tires for it last month, and the Firestone kid who did the work
noticed some play in my steering wheel while he test drove it.He said itmeans I need a new itermediate steering arm. I told them I'd ask my dealer to check it out later. They really wanted me to to replace this part, but I did not want to hear what they were telling me. I believe there is nothing wrong with my steering. It works fine, and when my dealer fixed the power steering fluid leak they replaced the steering core. I think they would have noticed this problem if it was really a problem.

Thanks,
Chris

Old 03-02-2009, 11:36 PM
Starting Member
SockJock is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Problems with my first Blazer.

Well the oil lines are notorious on all the 4x4 Blazers for developing leaks over time and I would have to assume that the power steering lines would be in the same boat. Your mileage seems about right for the wear items to be needing replacement.(hoses)
You mentioned the therm. housing failing, I assume you mean the gasket.
I know it seems like you're having a bad run of luck with your blazer, but in my experience, many of the wear items start needing replacement around 50,000 miles(water pumps, radiators, radiator hoses, alternators, thermostats, steering components,etc) and that's on any vehicle not just blazers.
If you keep your vehicle maintained well it should carry you for a long, long time. But you will have to replace some stuff along the way.
Back in the 60's and 70'smany vehicles would be slap wore out, blowing clouds of blue smoke and needing complete overhauls at90,000 miles.
Both my Blazers have well over 120,000 miles and are going strong, but Ihave had to replace some stuff along the way.
Not just plugs, oil, filters and brakes.