Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

First car, first audio system

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 08:45 PM
bigchevyguy is on a distinguished road
Default First car, first audio system

Didn't mention it in the Title but I'm super excited as well. I purchased a 2 door 2001 blazer last month and I'm looking to upgrade the stock speakers. It's more of a fix seeing as some of the speakers came broken. I read the sticky thread about the size of the speakers for my model blazer and I believe I came up with a good setup.

These would be the front speakers :
Amazon.com : Kenwood KFC1694PS 6-1/2-Inch 3-Way Car Speakers (Set of 2) : Vehicle Speakers : Car Electronics Amazon.com : Kenwood KFC1694PS 6-1/2-Inch 3-Way Car Speakers (Set of 2) : Vehicle Speakers : Car Electronics

These would be the rear speakers:
Amazon.com : Infinity Reference 6912m 6 x 9-Inch 300-Watt High-Performance 2-Way Marine Loudspeaker (Pair) : Vehicle Speakers : Car Electronics Amazon.com : Infinity Reference 6912m 6 x 9-Inch 300-Watt High-Performance 2-Way Marine Loudspeaker (Pair) : Vehicle Speakers : Car Electronics

If you guys have any recommendations, I'm all ears. I'm completely new to the whole car customization world and hopefully some audiophiles can chime in and say what they feel about these or have suggestions of their own. I don't plan to get subwoofers for a few months, if at all even. However, would I need an amp to power these to get the best sound possible?

Tl;dr - 2 sets of speakers, any good?, would I need an amp to get the most out of them?

Old 07-01-2014, 08:31 PM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

I'm surprised no one has replied to you on this yet.

Is the total of those speakers all you have for a budget on the new speakers? Even if it is there's a possibility that a better combination could be worked out if you would like me to see what I can find. As it is neither are anything spectacular but not bad choices by any means but I think you could do better. Also what kind of HU is in it now?

With the right amount of work on the installation of the speakers you could very well not even need any subs depending on your listening tastes and habits. Are you very handy with woodworking? Building some custom baffles for the speakers will make a big difference. If you're not too budget restricted I would also highly suggest some sound deadening as well. Some CLD tiles (like Dynamat) and some CCF (closed cell foam) will make a dramatic difference.

Last but not least the only way to get great sound from a set of speakers is to have enough power to handle the dynamics of the music. Let's face it a HU just can't provide that. When it comes to amplifier power I would recommend buying the most power you can afford to. It's not real hard to get a fairly powerful amp for a great price anymore.

Answer these questions, gimme your thoughts and we'll go from there. If you're up for a little work and not afraid to take on the challenge I think we can get you an excellent sounding setup with a relatively low budget.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:56 AM

Thank you altoncustomtech. I have searched the forum and read many of your replies already and you are extremely helpful in every circumstance.

As for the budget, I'm looking to spend $1000USD at most on new tail lights ( LED / smoked) , a HID headlight set, new speakers all around, a new head unit, and amp. Unfortunately, keyless entry and alarm will cost close to $300 I found out. So not sure if some things will go on hold right away or not. If you have any suggestions for the tail lights and HID set that would be fantastic as well.

The headunit currently in the car is stock. It says PASSLOCK Theft II , etc etc with CD slot. Not sure if that helps.

For woodworking, does that go into the door panels? I have no woodworking tools on hand. However, I can possibly request the help of a friend.

Thanks!

Old 07-03-2014, 07:31 PM
lazyboyjake is on a distinguished road

If you're looking to keep costs low and you don't have the tools to do it, then just put the new speakers where the factory ones were. That's what I did since both restrictions applied to me. With the front I was able to use the screws that came with the speaker and screw them into the plastic, not very hard, but with the rears I had to use the factory screws.

Old 07-17-2014, 12:46 PM

Thanks for the great replies. However, I decided to go completely budget and picked up the 100$ set from amazon. It had the headunit and 4 speakers the sizes that would fit it no problem.
Robot Check Robot Check

The next question would be it says it comes with a kit and wiring harness in the set, "Pioneer car audio package includes wiring harness, DIN mounting cage, manual, installation instructions". Are these universal or should I be ordering something from METRO online.

Metra Part # 40-GM10 | Aftermarket Antenna | Metra Online

and

Metra Part # 99-4000 | GM Dash kit | Metra Online

According to METRAonline these 2 fit the 2001 chevy blazer 2door. I'm new so if these aren't please suggest something that will.

Thank you so much for any and all help !