2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Radiator Replacement, 1995 Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2021, 10:52 AM
Starting Member
Eric2244 is on a distinguished road
Default Radiator Replacement, 1995 Blazer

New member here. I hope I'm posting this correctly in terms of categories. I see no section for cooling systems and I searched as best as I could and did not find an answer to my particular question. I also checked several videos on YouTube and did not run across this issue.

I recently replaced the radiator on my '95 Blazer. I had no issues in doing the job, but now I'm tearing into it again for another cooling-system issue and a question occurred to me.

The original radiator has a saw cut through both the upper and lower frames. The saw cut that goes right through both frame members is about 1/3 of the way "in" from the right side (not that it matters). The replacement radiator (not a GM part) has the same saw cuts, in the same place, but they don't go all the way through the frame members. They were cut most of the way through, but not entirely. It's almost as if I'm supposed to complete the cut before installation, but I did not do that.

It occurred to me that the purpose of the cut might be to eliminate stress on the radiator tubes due to differential expansion between the cooling tubes and the frame members, and that perhaps the frame cuts are not completed ahead of time to maintain integrity for shipping. Everything connecting the right and left sides is aluminum and would expand and contract the same, IF the temperature changes were the same, but the tubes obviously get much hotter than the top and bottom frames do. Therefore, a cut through the top and bottom frame WOULD eliminate the buildup of stress that might lead to the tubes developing leaks where they connect to the side tanks.

All that is just me thinking out loud and pondering the situation. Anyone have ideas? Should I complete those cuts? Thanks for your thoughts.

Old 05-13-2021, 02:20 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

I think the two manufacturers probably just had different opinions of how much "stress relief" was actually necessary. I would NOT cut it all the way through. You're almost guaranteed to void your warranty that way.

As for preventing damage in shipping, if the radiator can't withstand a trip across the country (or from China) when it's in a box and padded with styrofoam, I certainly wouldn't expect it to hold up under actual working conditions.