2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Rear Brakes dragging.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 09:36 AM
warcraftjs is on a distinguished road
Default Rear Brakes dragging.

Being my first post hello to everyone.

Ok the problem.

I have a 2000 GMC Jimmy and the Rear Brakes are dragging. The driver side wore down to the rivits so I just replaced the disks and pads on both sides (the passager side is not dragging as much but is doing it to).

So problem is it is still dragging and I don't know what the hack is wrong. Do I have to replace the calipers? They moved very freely when I was compressing them back to put the new pads on.

My mind is blown with this and I really don't want to take to the dealer to have what little cash I have taken.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:13 PM
mofiddle is on a distinguished road

check the caliper bracket slide pins and make sure they are not frozen

Old 02-08-2011, 01:38 PM
GunsOfNavarone is on a distinguished road

Yes the calipers need replacement. The rear calipers have a problem after being compressed for new pads which results in constant pressure from the pads to the rotor. Caliper replacement is the easy fix. Since your pads are already worn, consider purchausing loaded calipers, may save you time and money.

Old 02-08-2011, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by mofiddle
check the caliper bracket slide pins and make sure they are not frozen
Ya I made sure those were lubed and were not frozen.

Originally Posted by GunsOfNavarone
Yes the calipers need replacement. The rear calipers have a problem after being compressed for new pads which results in constant pressure from the pads to the rotor. Caliper replacement is the easy fix. Since your pads are already worn, consider purchausing loaded calipers, may save you time and money.
Really, ok I will look into getting a new set. Will I have the same problem with the front calipers? They will have to be replaced soon.

Old 02-08-2011, 02:54 PM
Starting Member
Tinted is on a distinguished road

i had this happen on the rear right wheel on my truck. it was a bad calipper.

Old 02-08-2011, 06:52 PM
streblo will become famous soon enoughstreblo will become famous soon enough

^ I think its passenger side rear calipers are often slightly to small for the brake pads to slide in. Had this problem with my blazer as well as buddies s10. Both on the drivers side the tabs on the pads were just a little to big to slide in and would not slide freely, nothing a quick and little touch to the bench grinder cant finish.

As for both check 2 things, check your sliders to make sure they are working, and check how easily it is to re-compress your pistons after you replaced the new pads, if the pistons were super hard to compress chances are some moisture got in there and caused some corrosion which is making the pistons stick a bit which means new calipers in the rear. I did this a year and half ago.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:02 AM
GunsOfNavarone is on a distinguished road

"Will I have the same problem with the front calipers?"

No, the fronts don't have the same problem after compression the pistons that the rear do. A good rule of thumb when replacing the read disc brakes on a 2nd GEN blazer is to always replace the calipers with the pads, and but real good pads so no need to replace the pads (and calipers) for many years. Rear brakes typically wear much slower than front, so high quality rear parts can easily last for over five years and more- of course depending on miles driven, type of driving and if a trailer is in tow.

I recommend the Raybestos or Wagner loaded ceramic calipers sold at RockAuto for the Blazer. All you have to do is bolt them on and bleed the brakes. No lubing of pins, setting of clips, nothing. All that was done in a controlled factory environment.

Old 02-24-2011, 12:47 PM
Thumbs up

Well thanks for the help guys my truck is driving great now and no more problems.