2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Rear Seal Oil Leak?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 11:24 AM
Timid Soul is on a distinguished road
Default Rear Seal Oil Leak?

Really strange I know, but my 96 Blazer has an oil leak like I've never seen! It seems to be coming from the rear mail seal, leaking out between the bell housing and the motor, but it "runs" out like a faucet. I'm not sure the dip stick is correct, because when it overfills is when it runs out like that. Drain the oil and you have more than 4 quarts. Would the oil run out like that with the rear main seal? Anyone had this happen? Any replies would be appreciated. Also, how hard is it to remove the transmission to get to the seal? Thanks.

Last edited by Timid Soul; 06-04-2009 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Removed email address.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:01 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It is possible that the rear main seal is the cause. Oil level should be below the level which it would run out with the engine off though.

First check to make sure that the oil pan is tight.

You may want to rethink posting your email address in an open forum. It is a sure fire way to get spammed..

Old 06-04-2009, 03:13 PM

Thanks about the email. Newbie. I'll try to edit it out. Anyway, the oil pan gasket, valve cover gaskets, oil lines etc have been replaced. Is the rear main the only thing left?

Old 06-04-2009, 03:16 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Either that or a valley plug, cam/balance shaft core plug... There are only a handful of holes on the back of the block and I would not think that all of them would flow the kind of oil you are describing aside from the main seal.

Can you pull off the dust shield on the torque converter and have a look up between the block and the flex plate?

Old 06-06-2009, 05:20 AM
Default Blazer Oil Lead

Thanks swartlkk. Don't know what a valley plug is or cam shaft core plug. The oil is accumulating inside the bell housing and running out. It seems to be coming from in front of the flywheel. I can't see anything up on the motor that could be a source. Of course the garages want a fortune to start pulling and checking. I've already been ripped for about $600 and the leak is worse. Pulling the transmission and transfer case etc., would be a huge job. I'm an old guy, but before I continue putting out this money I'm thinking of attempting it myself. It might take me forever, but........finding an honest and reasonably priced mechanic in this area is impossible. Thanks for your help. Any more info, i'd be please to hear. Thanks. Oh, and PS: The oil pan gasket is new and good.

Last edited by Timid Soul; 06-06-2009 at 05:22 AM.
Old 06-06-2009, 12:47 PM
Administrator

Those plugs that I mentioned are the only other openings on the back of the block where oil is present. You are going to have to get the transmission out of the way to tell for sure.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:54 PM

Doing it soon, thanks.