2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Recommendations-Tranny bit the dust

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 05:17 PM
Beginning Member
press1280 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Recommendations-Tranny bit the dust

So my 97 had been having the issue lately where as I was cruising about 45 or so the rpms would start wandering up, even though I kept my foot steady.

Now just this week I get 2 codes (p1870 and P0101) and I can't get above 2nd gear. From what I read it seems like a blown 3-4 clutch pack. I took it in to get looked at and they said the tranny oil was really bad and that the tranny needed to go. Weird thing is both codes disappeared by themselves after 2 or 3 on/off cycles.

My question is is there anything else that should be looked at, any way to know for sure that's it for the tranny?

I was also quoted for 1700 to replace the trans with a used one with 140k miles and a 90 day warranty (they said 700 for the tranny and 1k for labor, their hourly shop rate is 80$ BTW). I really don't like doing that since who knows what I'm getting for 1700. Does this sound like a fair price? Any other options? If it were 1700 for a totally rebuilt tranny I may do it.

The car runs fine otherwise except for the A/C, this is my backup vehicle so I don't want to put a ton into it or roll the dice with another used vehicle.

Old 01-19-2018, 08:34 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by press1280
So my 97 had been having the issue lately where as I was cruising about 45 or so the rpms would start wandering up, even though I kept my foot steady.

Now just this week I get 2 codes (p1870 and P0101) and I can't get above 2nd gear. From what I read it seems like a blown 3-4 clutch pack. I took it in to get looked at and they said the tranny oil was really bad and that the tranny needed to go. Weird thing is both codes disappeared by themselves after 2 or 3 on/off cycles.

My question is is there anything else that should be looked at, any way to know for sure that's it for the tranny?

I was also quoted for 1700 to replace the trans with a used one with 140k miles and a 90 day warranty (they said 700 for the tranny and 1k for labor, their hourly shop rate is 80$ BTW). I really don't like doing that since who knows what I'm getting for 1700. Does this sound like a fair price? Any other options? If it were 1700 for a totally rebuilt tranny I may do it.

The car runs fine otherwise except for the A/C, this is my backup vehicle so I don't want to put a ton into it or roll the dice with another used vehicle.
I paid $2400 to have mine rebuilt at a major trans shop. Mine is a 2001 4WD. The R&R labor is a killer on the 4WD.

Old 01-19-2018, 10:12 PM
Starting Member
oldeerslayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Look at the fluid yourself. If it's brown and smells your 4L60E is toast. I wouldn't put in a 140K trans. That's about the mileage most start acting up. Spend the extra $700 and get a quality rebuild. Problem is a lot of places can put one together. A few places really know how to do it right.
Look for an independent transmission shop that isn't selling assembly line rebuilds. One where you can talk to the boss and see if he talks about upgrades from the original design and other mods to extend the life when rebuilding one.
There is a whole book published by ATSG on just upgrades recommended for each year 4L60E. Yours being a 97, which is pretty much a 1 year transmission model, needs specific improvements to last a long time. Better clutches and steels assembled with the correct clearance is critical, for starters.
Be sure whoever does the R&R flushes your cooling lines thoroughly both ways to remove any shrapnel from your old trans.

Once a Blazer hits that magic 20 year old mark, whether or not it's worth fixing is a tough call. I crushed my 97 2 years ago, but I live in the salt belt. Everything that still worked was rusty.

Old 01-19-2018, 10:32 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by press1280

For reference, I had my transmission rebuilt last March at a local shop with a shift kit, upgraded torque converter, and transmission fluid cooler for $2,660. Labor was ~$1,510 and parts were $1,080. They also used synthetic fluid. The rest was tax. My truck has about 135,000 miles on it.

If the labor was a only a small fraction of the total cost, I might say it was worth the gamble but if you plan on keeping your Blazer for a while, I'd recommend going with a remanufactured unit or having yours rebuilt.

My truck is in good shape (including no rust) and plan to keep it for several more years which made the decision easier.

Old 01-19-2018, 10:41 PM
rockp2 will become famous soon enough

Where do you live? I have a trans I pulled out of my '97 before it went to the scrap yard. The tranny has about ~50K on it. It was a replacement for the original which bit the dust. AAMCO did the replacement (think I might still have the paperwork). Don't remember now if it was new or rebuild, but it was running strong when the 97 breathed it's last a few years ago. Been meaning to put it on Craigslist, just haven't gotten around to it. Needs a new filter and pan gasket.. The other place wants $700? I'll be a gent and sell you mine for $699.99! Seriously though, I was going to put it on Craigslist for less than half that. Motivated to get it out of my garage. Torque converter comes with it also.

Old 01-20-2018, 03:39 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by rockp2
Where do you live? I have a trans I pulled out of my '97 before it went to the scrap yard. The tranny has about ~50K on it. It was a replacement for the original which bit the dust. AAMCO did the replacement (think I might still have the paperwork). Don't remember now if it was new or rebuild, but it was running strong when the 97 breathed it's last a few years ago. Been meaning to put it on Craigslist, just haven't gotten around to it. Needs a new filter and pan gasket.. The other place wants $700? I'll be a gent and sell you mine for $699.99! Seriously though, I was going to put it on Craigslist for less than half that. Motivated to get it out of my garage. Torque converter comes with it also.
Interesting.....I'm near Martinsburg, WV

Old 01-20-2018, 04:12 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Def worth a road trip

Old 01-20-2018, 08:18 AM
rockp2 will become famous soon enough

Well I'm near Pottsville, PA...home of Yuengling.

Old 01-22-2018, 09:34 AM
Tajohns34 is on a distinguished road

for my 92 k1500 I got a rebuild one from a guy on Ebay for $1100 and a local shop charged about $600 to install it. The trans has a 2 year 24000 mile warranty. That was back in 2010 and I have had no issues with it yet. So it may be better off going with a new or reman and spending more money initially if you plan on keeping it

Last edited by Tajohns34; 01-22-2018 at 09:41 AM.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:31 PM
Beginning Member

So I called up 2 local tranny shops and one wanted 1800 for a full rebuild (onsite) with upgraded parts and a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty. I could pay 150-350 for a longer warranty. The other place wanted 2300.

Another question I had is what is the long term reliability of the engine? Mine is fine but the car has 178k on it. Just wondering if this is likely to go soon too. The tranny shops definitely let me know the 4L60e is infamous for all of its problems.

If I decide to just throw in the towel and part with the car, is there anything I can get for it?

Quick Reply: Recommendations-Tranny bit the dust