2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Recovery Hook Removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 07:27 PM
Starting Member
JS_blazer is on a distinguished road
Default Recovery Hook Removal

Today I went to remove the recovery hooks from the front of my blazer. All I see is two bolts per hook. Is it really as simple as unscreweing the two bolts? Because I tried for around an hour and to no luck.

Am I just dumb, or is there something else?

Old 12-22-2009, 07:33 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

It really is that simple. Not sure why yours wouldn't come off?
Here's a pic of mine. Grant it I have a 2001. I'm not sure if they changed or not since 95. I wouldn't imagine it would since they're the same underpinnings, just a different front end style.

Old 12-22-2009, 07:46 PM
Starting Member

ok, it looks the same. Maybe since I have a 95, they're just uber rusty.

Old 12-22-2009, 08:30 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

give them 2 or 3 whacks each with a sledge (3-4 lb) pb blast the ops and bottoms of the bolts and hooks.
repeat the taps.
smoke a cigarette or have a beer while the pb goes to work. then hook on with a breaker bar instead of standard ratchet for more torque and break those bastards wide open.

then your in ratchet country. enjoy

Old 12-23-2009, 06:16 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ABN31B
give them 2 or 3 whacks each with a sledge (3-4 lb) pb blast the ops and bottoms of the bolts and hooks.
repeat the taps.
smoke a cigarette or have a beer while the pb goes to work. then hook on with a breaker bar instead of standard ratchet for more torque and break those bastards wide open.

then your in ratchet country. enjoy
Yeah, it's probably just rusted in there. Giver a good beating as Curtis describes. I hi-lighted the most important steps

Old 12-23-2009, 09:08 AM
Starting Member

haha, that sounds nice, but too bad im Straight Edge(and not to mention 16)

and pb blaster; isnt that the can with like, some weird cartoonish drawing on the front?? I used something like that and liquid wrench and let it sit all night.

I painted a tiny bit to see how it looks, cause I got the textured Rustoleum satin black spray paint. I think it looks goooooooood. Ill upload pics when I get them off, whenever that is.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:11 AM
BF Veteran

^^ looks like that.

Old 12-23-2009, 11:25 AM
papacope is an unknown quantity at this point

PB Blaster, one of the greatest inventions ever.

Old 12-23-2009, 11:39 AM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

16 an straight edge? then pound 2 virgin screw drivers and tackle those hooks!

Old 12-23-2009, 12:03 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by ABN31B
16 an straight edge? then pound 2 virgin screw drivers and tackle those hooks!
lol.

Any luck getting them out?

Quick Reply: Recovery Hook Removal