2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Red alternator wire missing off of 95 Blazer VIN "W"

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 09:14 PM
Salvatier is on a distinguished road

Just got to check resistance. Went from connector to positive using positive probe on battery and I got 1.504ish M ohms. Is this correct?? I have 12.4V

Edit! I checked connector and the wire connected to harness of car is at the L terminal. Is the light the one on the instrument cluster because I have that light, the red battery symbol that lights when ignition is turned to start. If so then the harness wire should be on the F terminal, correct??

Edit. I have been charging battery with in house charger which is why 12V. Also, checked resistance again and now was around 1.45M ohms.

Last edited by Salvatier; 12-15-2011 at 09:51 PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:21 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, missed your reply. Yes, if you have a charge indicator light, the wire should be on the F-terminal. Though your resistance readings are VERY high and may still contribute to a no-charge situation.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:06 AM

It's fine. So being resistance is too high then am I able to run a wire from positive battery to terminal on alternator connector with a resistor in between?? I'm not sure what would be cause such a high resistance.
Btw, I found out the connector was bad and wasn't connecting to the alternator because the Erie at terminal was pulled out so was only connecting certain times. So I replaced connector and now I get alternator SOMETIMES charging up to 12V.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:19 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to try something out, install a wire to a switched 12V source (on when the key is in the RUN position) to the L terminal of the alternator (middle of the 3 smaller terminals). For a short test, you could connect the L-terminal to the battery positive post, but if left connected when the truck is off, it will drain the battery.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:13 PM

So I connected a 14G wire from the positive of the battery to the L terminal(middle smaller hole) after I had charged the battery because it died on me earlier. I took it for a drive and think I noticed a little raise in voltage during driving but dropped down once I had turned the heat on. Also, as I'm driving, if I hold the gas pedal down enough to get going on a flat surface then the car goes but if I press it any further it sounds like it's misfiring soo bad. Even does it when the car is in neutral or park. The car doesn't rev or anything, just wants to die but it doesn't and once I let off the gas then it idles normal. It would do this every once in a while before but it would run fine after a little and after it got back to normal there would be a very strong gas smell. This is not making sense and I feel like I'm asking you WAY to many questions, I'm just not sure what to do.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:03 AM
Administrator

Has the alternator been tested? What does the voltage gauge inside read when you have jumper cables on the battery?