2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Replacement Key FOB

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 09:30 AM
Starting Member
donald_archer is on a distinguished road
Default Replacement Key FOB

Good Morning

I am looking for a replacement Key Fob for my 1998 Chevy Blazer. Original GM part # is 12495653.

Any help would be appreciated

Old 12-07-2018, 12:22 PM
Strangerock is on a distinguished road

You can find them by that number on Ebay , I dont know if the setup had changed but for my 05 jimmy and my 02 astro , they are easy to program.

Old 12-07-2018, 02:07 PM
BF Veteran
DonL will become famous soon enough

I got mine off kijiji(canadian ebay), also seen them on letgo, and a few scrapyard sell used ones.

Old 12-08-2018, 10:59 PM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

Got mine on eBay.

George

Old 12-09-2018, 02:04 PM
Strangerock is on a distinguished road

Here's a weird one , I bought a cheap chinese fob with the number that matches mine ( my jimmy , astro and grand am are all the same number) anyways I programmed it to work with my astro van and for some reason it will simultaneously unlock or lock both my astro and my jimmy if they are both within range.

Old 12-09-2018, 06:20 PM
Starting Member
Default I found a numbers matching FOB on ebay, however:

Hi

Thank you so far for all of the help. I have found a number matching replacement fOB here https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Fits-GM-1249...8:pf:0&vxp=mtr but I don't understand the programming instructions

Can someone explain the programming instructions especially the "grounding out the RKE programming connector". Here is the full list from the e-bay page
  1. Open the rear compartment lid.
  2. Pull the right side rear compartment trim for access.
  3. <B>Using a jumper wire with alligator clips, ground RKE programming connector. The door locks will lock and unlock, indicating that the Remote Control Door Lock Receiver (RCDLR) entered the keyless entry transmitter programming mode.</B>
  4. With the programming connector still grounded, program all of the keyless entry transmitters (one at a time):
  5. Press and hold the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons simultaneously on the keyless entry transmitter for 10 seconds.
  6. The door locks will lock and unlock, indicating that the keyless entry transmitter has been programmed.
  7. Repeat step 4 for each keyless entry transmitter to be programmed. Up to four keyless entry transmitter can be programmed.
  8. Remove jumper wire from RKE programming connector terminal.
  9. Verify the operating of the keyless entry transmitter(s)
Never seen this mentioned on the programming on any other FOB I have been looking at

Thanks for all of the advice so far
Don

Old 12-09-2018, 07:10 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by Strangerock
Here's a weird one , I bought a cheap chinese fob with the number that matches mine ( my jimmy , astro and grand am are all the same number) anyways I programmed it to work with my astro van and for some reason it will simultaneously unlock or lock both my astro and my jimmy if they are both within range.
funny, I just had a conversation with a budy. He installed a remote starter, would unlock the doors and roll down the windows when he would start it. Growing up, my parents had an early 90s caravan, same key worked on three different Van's...

Old 12-09-2018, 07:13 PM
BF Veteran

Sorry my last post had nothing to do with the original post. Got lost in track of mind.

but I two have never heard of this programming method. I had to sit in my blazer and play with the door locks and key fob to program mine. Got the method off of youtube

Old 12-14-2018, 05:37 PM
Starting Member

OK here is the thing I have found the number matching FOB on Ebay as most of you have suggested i should. The pros are that it is number matched to the one that I have, PRO..Its only 40 bucks and I can have it shipped to my sister in Florida and she can bring it into Canada for me in April duty free. The other PRO is that its only 40 bucks so its not a big chunck of change if something doesnt work.

The big CON for it and I still cant get my head around it is the programming. I have not seen anything like it before and as was described above putting a jumper wire across 2 terminals of a block that I can not see and I have to remove some trim pieces to get at. I am wondering if this is the procedure for adding a FOB where there was not one originally and not replacing an existing FOB

My question is I guess if I pull the trigger on this thing and i cant get it to work can I take it to a dealer or a locksmith and get them to program it for me $$$ or do i eat the 40.00 US

Just some thoughts would help

Thanks

Old 12-14-2018, 06:25 PM
N. Jensen is on a distinguished road

I've reprogrammed remotes for my blazer that I've found in the junk yard.
Here is the technique I used in my '98;

Quick Reply: Replacement Key FOB