2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Replacing catalytic converter on 96 Jimmy

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 06:29 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If it is marketed as a direct fit, it should have all of the original brackets. You can't always rely on the photos on some parts websites as being the actual item you are buying. When in doubt, a quick call to the manufacturer will get you answers.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:03 AM
terry s is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
If it is marketed as a direct fit, it should have all of the original brackets. You can't always rely on the photos on some parts websites as being the actual item you are buying. When in doubt, a quick call to the manufacturer will get you answers.
I agree^
A torch is not always needed. But sometimes it is the only way to get rusted 02 sensors or the nuts at the connections loose. Also be sure to use a good 6-point socket on the nuts. A 12-point socket or any cheap socket usually rounds them off. Sometimes the nuts have rusted to the point where they are smaller than when they were new. In this case sometimes you can hammer on a socket that is slightly smaller than the original nut size. If the socket does not fit well it will usually round off a nut that is rusted. Then you are in trouble. You can always get under there and see if you can get all the nuts and the 02 sensor to turn before you but the parts. Many auto stores like O'Reilly & Auto Zone will loan you a set of sockets for the 02 sensor. This will make a rusted 02 sensor much easier to remove without rounding it off.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:55 PM
tjbmxrider is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm thinking about getting the catco direct fit cat because it has all of the hangers i need. one on one side of the cat and two on the other side. here is a pic http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg. and for 170 bucks it isn't bad. it has all the hangers i need, so i wont need to weld at all. but is this a good brand? the only other cats that i could find with all of the hangers i need were made by davico (http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sk...gs+Best+Seller ) and the eastern catalytic one with the same configuration, but i read in a few places these brands weren't that good. The only one out of the three that comes with a warranty is davico. So i have come to the best place to get an answer by blazer enthusiasts... am I making the right choice by choosing catco?

Last edited by tjbmxrider; 03-30-2011 at 08:55 AM.