2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Replacing Transfer Case Motor

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 05:00 PM
vrryder is on a distinguished road
Default Replacing Transfer Case Motor

I have a 99 blazer 4x4. I have to replace the transfer case motre. Im wondering if theres any special step i need to take inorder to clear the fault codes (unpug battery, take fuses out etc)? Where it electrical i dot want to fry the motor.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:09 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Disconnect the battery before you start working on it, then reconnect it once its back together.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:01 PM

Is it true that if you dont unhook the battery there would be faults in the encoder and make it not work properly? I had a friend that had to put one in and he said he forgot to unhook the battery and when he got it all together it wouldnt do 4hi unless you unhook the battery. Someone had told him that if thats the case then take it off and hook the battery up so it wont detect the motor then unhook the battery and put it back on and it should work. Is that true or once theres a fault then the motors screwed?

Old 10-23-2009, 06:17 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The TCCM will remember the encoder fault from the old encoder and lock out the shift it had the problem with. It will not damage any parts, but it will not work correctly until the TCCM is reset. The easiest way to reset the TCCM is with a battery disconnect.

Old 10-23-2009, 10:46 AM

so in other words if you take the motor off and reset the tccm and put the motor back on then the tccm will still reconize the fualt and it would work.

Old 10-23-2009, 10:14 PM
Beginning Member
mnmetalhead is on a distinguished road

So I have a question.....I am replacing the motor as well but the transfer case is at a different position than the motor is. How do I get the shaft to match up to the new motor? can I turn that or something?

Old 10-24-2009, 12:49 AM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

move it manually. With the motor off, you can swing it over to where you need it.

Old 10-24-2009, 08:05 AM
Beginning Member
gusszgs is on a distinguished road

Not trying to hijack this thread but I'm having the same issue.
I'm in the process of trying to get my encoder motor bolted back on to the tranfer case and it does not line up correctly to the drive gear coming out of the side of TC.
Just so I'm clear, can I move the transfer case "drive" to line up with the encoder motor? Or can I move the female end on the encoder motor to line it up? TIA, Jim

Old 10-24-2009, 08:14 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by gusszgs
Not trying to hijack this thread but I'm having the same issue.
I'm in the process of trying to get my encoder motor bolted back on to the tranfer case and it does not line up correctly to the drive gear coming out of the side of TC.
Just so I'm clear, can I move the transfer case "drive" to line up with the encoder motor? Or can I move the female end on the encoder motor to line it up? TIA, Jim
Answered HERE.

Old 10-24-2009, 10:58 AM
Beginning Member
gusszgs is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Answered HERE.
Thanks alot Kyle, I missed that one.

Quick Reply: Replacing Transfer Case Motor