2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Report: Installing GPD (Global Parts Dist.) 9612779 A/C Compressor & Component Kit

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 12:14 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by midnightbluS10
I just did this on a Trailblazer. And have done my truck multiple times. This post makes the job seem much more than it is. It's all really simple stuff. 5 bolts to remove the compressor and the lines to it. Pull the radiator that takes about 20 minutes. Replace and hook up lines. Even replacing the lines, orifice tube and drier only takes a few minutes. Then pull a vac on the system and fill with freon.

It's not nearly as involved as the OP's post makes it out to be. I don't even think the factory service manual is that tedious.
You know, sometimes it seems to take longer to do a write-up than to do the actual work. However, I figured that when doing an unfamiliar job, even one that seems straight-forward, it is nice to have a thorough write-up. I consider doing such a write-up as a way of paying it forward to the people who wrote ones I've used that I found really useful.

As for the difficulty? Well, in in principle it is a pretty straight-forward job but I find working on our Blazers can have a high "tedious"/"annoying" factor due to the lack of room to reach parts due to how cramped the engine compartment can be. It doesn't help that I'm working in a one-car garage. LOL

Old 06-25-2018, 08:05 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

I just did this on a Trailblazer. And have done my truck multiple times. This post makes the job seem much more than it is. It's all really simple stuff. 5 bolts to remove the compressor and the lines to it. Pull the radiator that takes about 20 minutes. Replace and hook up lines. Even replacing the lines, orifice tube and drier only takes a few minutes. Then pull a vac on the system and fill with freon.

It's not nearly as involved as the OP's post makes it out to be. I don't even think the factory service manual is that tedious.
Well, good for you and your expertise! Looking forward to your first instructional post! Pick a topic and tell us how to do something, so we can all critique it. Nothing is better for the ego than raising yourself by knocking down another's work. If you don't need the details and have nothing constructive to add on someone else's work, then I suggest that you simply don't comment. I see you have a great history, and I think this moderator is still here. Funny how stuff on the Internet never goes away once you post it.
https://blazerforum.com/forum/genera...-blazer-74022/

Last edited by LesMyer; 06-25-2018 at 08:26 AM.
Old 06-25-2018, 08:43 AM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

I had not noticed the first time you posted but Les brought it to my attention through his post. Why did you have to do the AC work on your truck multiple times, what went wrong?

George

Last edited by GeorgeLG; 06-25-2018 at 10:08 AM.
Old 06-25-2018, 02:11 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by GeorgeLG
I had not noticed the first time you posted but Les brought it to my attention through his post. Why did you have to do the AC work on your truck multiple times, what went wrong?

George
I didn't catch that. That's a very good question? Did you have trouble with new compressors going bad?? Inquiring minds want to know.

Last edited by LesMyer; 06-25-2018 at 02:16 PM.
Old 06-26-2018, 08:02 AM
jimspahr@msn.com is on a distinguished road

Christine, I appreciate all your posts on your projects. I esp. like the step by step how to's and even more, the part no's. I know if my Blazer doesn't have that particular problem right now, it will eventually. I like the detailed info you share in your posts. Thanks, Jim in
SC.

Old 06-26-2018, 12:29 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by jimspahr@msn.com
Christine, I appreciate all your posts on your projects. I esp. like the step by step how to's and even more, the part no's. I know if my Blazer doesn't have that particular problem right now, it will eventually. I like the detailed info you share in your posts. Thanks, Jim in
SC.
Jim,

Thanks for your support and comments. Like I said above, I like to think that by doing a quality write-up, I'm paying forward the debt I have to those who did similar posts that I used in the past. It makes me happy to think what I write is of some use and can save someone else having to learn things the "hard way". LOL

Christine

Old 06-28-2018, 11:01 AM
BF Veteran
Default Redesigned GPD AC hose pn 4811526

So I've been in communcation with GPD and I got the following pictures showing their older and now newer design for the AC hose. This redesign has a lower arch for one of the rigid tubes so that there will be no interference with the underside of the hood and has no muffler which means it can be flushed if needed. Hopefully if you do your repair correctly, you will never have to do that though.

Here are the pictures:

Older design on left, newer on right.

Older design on left, newer on right.

Old 06-29-2018, 10:40 AM
Tajohns34 is on a distinguished road

I looked over your list and I was surprised how inexpensive it was. For everything, including a belt, and all of the connectors for the transmission and oil coolers it is $280.42 delivered. I need to save that list in case my "failing" compressor ever kicks the bucket.

Old 06-29-2018, 02:01 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by Tajohns34
I looked over your list and I was surprised how inexpensive it was. For everything, including a belt, and all of the connectors for the transmission and oil coolers it is $280.42 delivered. I need to save that list in case my "failing" compressor ever kicks the bucket.

Yeah, it wasn't too bad. The quote I got from the local shop for replacing only the compressor was over $750.

This is why I posted this list so that people could learn from my experiences and have the job go easier for them.

Old 06-30-2018, 09:39 PM
BF Veteran

I got the new AC hoses from GPD yesterday. I sent them a quote to have it replaced and I'm hoping they will reimburse me for that cost.

In the mean time, I found a piece of wood with notch in it that fit over the tubing and I was able with it and a hammer introduce some more bend into the tube arch. This I think reduced the total height above the compressor by about 0.20". It might be enough to clear the underside of the hood and I was able to do it without adding any kinks to the tube. I put a piece of blue masking tape on the top of the arch so that I could easily see if it rubs against the underside of the hood. After a drive around town this afternoon, it all seemed ok.

Quick Reply: Report: Installing GPD (Global Parts Dist.) 9612779 A/C Compressor & Component Kit