2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Rislone or Lucas?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 10:31 PM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road
Default Rislone or Lucas?

Hey everyone. I will be doing an oil change this weekend with Mobil1 High Mileage 5W-30 and an AC Delco or Napa Gold Filter (NO FRAMS!) and I am thinking about what else I want to add to the oil. I am currently running this truck with 1/2 qt of Lucas and 4qts Mobil1 with an AC Delco PF52 (after an oil pressure problem with Purolator PureONE filter, I changed it out.). I was looking at using Rislone for the first time. I do have a lifter tick in cold weather for the first couple minutes after a cold start. It is especially bad if I take it above idle before it warms up for a few minutes. Up until 10k miles ago, I had conventional oil put in with Lucas. I think that there is some sludge left over. I now do my own oil changes and I use synthetic oils. I do have a few questions about all this.

1. Which is better for making the engine last as long as possible? Lucas or Rislone? If Lucas, should I be using the synthetic version since this truck sees alot of cold weather?

2. Is Rislone like Seafoam (also never used before) where it is bad to leave it in the oil for an extended period of time or I might spin a bearing?

3. Will Rislone get rid of the lifter tick on startup?

4. I usually change the oil every 2500-3000 miles (max). With the Rislone, should I change it more often?

5. Do I have good taste in terms of brands of oil and filters?

6. For those of you who have used Rislone before, is there any other information I should know before I buy it and put it in my engine?

Thanks.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:57 AM
terry s is on a distinguished road

I have has good luck with Rislone quieting lifters. I added it when changing oil and left it in until the next oil change. I did not alter my oil change interval.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:23 AM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

rislone is a cleaning product as far as i know, and may clean out gunk, but *could* also cause leaks where sludge was building a seal.

why dont you try just 10-30 and not mess with the compound of the oil?

Old 11-06-2010, 07:12 AM
Starting Member
Senshi09 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ComputerNerdBD
(NO FRAMS!)
out of curiosity, whats wrong with fram?

Old 11-07-2010, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Senshi09
out of curiosity, whats wrong with fram?
They are junk. Paper end caps, poorly assembled filter element and a cheap bypass and antidrainback valve make them a disaster waiting to happen. The glue and cardboard can come off the filter and end up in the engine, resulting in engine damage/destruction. I have used AC Delco, Napa Gold, Purolator PureOne and Fram Toughgard (my first oil change) since I started doing my own oil changes in March. As soon as I heard about Frams and the stories, I ripped that Fram off my engine so fast I actually destroyed it trying to remove it (filter was only on there for 3 days/25 miles). The metal was also so thin that my filter wrench ripped it open. I replaced it with NAPA Gold. I now use AC Delco because they are reasonably priced and they seem to be good quality. I had a bad experience with PureOne (oil pressure was not right), so I haven't used them for a while.

Old 11-07-2010, 11:48 AM
BF Veteran

how does an oil filter effect the pressure?

Old 11-07-2010, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by blazinloud
how does an oil filter effect the pressure?
If it has alot of restriction, it could reduce the oil pressure, which it did to mine. It was down by about 5-15 psi if I remember correctly. I put an AC Delco and it improved. Purolator also had a fuel filter recall (which I had on mine, but it was for a different car), so I decided to stay away from the brand for a while.

Old 11-07-2010, 12:29 PM
Starting Member
robertr728 is on a distinguished road

I wouldnt mess with the oils and go straight synthetic 5-30. Synthetic oils will clean your engine slowly and they are the best thing out to date. Plus you can get 5000-10000 miles to a oil change.

As far as Fram filters i have used them for 30 years and never had any problem.

Old 11-07-2010, 12:30 PM
BF Veteran

my mechanic says that synthetic eats your gaskets. anyone have info on that?

Old 11-07-2010, 01:01 PM
Starting Member
robertr728 is on a distinguished road

Synthetic will not eat gaskets. It can cause a car that has oil leaks to get worse. As you stated above if a vehicle has high miles and some sludge is bloking a oil leak or slowing it down. Then as you run synthetic and it cleans out the inside of your engine that oi leak could be exposed and the leak could get worse. But the synthetic did not cause the leak.

Quick Reply: Rislone or Lucas?