2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Rough Idle.. after I moved...?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 12:04 PM
Starting Member
Senshi09 is on a distinguished road
Default Rough Idle.. after I moved...?

i noticed that my idle dropped down from 800 to 600 and began running kinda rough. Like it was hesitant to stay running. So i looked up that problem and got it narrowed down to 2 possibly 3 things..

1. pcv valve.
2. fuel filter
3. egr valve needs cleaned

ive read all these of these can make the vehicle have a rough idle.

now as of this morning the motor has 150,xxx miles on it. Ive replaced the cap, rotor, plugs and wires when i first got the truck back in july. Also changed the oil and trans fluids/filters. Replaced the cold start sensor and my air filter. I just recently changed the oil again, back in late september/early october a week before i changed my transfercase gasket. im thinking on ordering a pcv and fuel filter from rockauto and changing those up and seeing if its fixed, but id like your opinions as well.

Last edited by Senshi09; 11-05-2010 at 08:36 AM. Reason: removed usuless information
Old 11-05-2010, 08:41 AM
Starting Member

bump.

Just checked my pcv valve, pulled it off and shook it. It rattled so its still good. Ordered the Filter lastnight, just waiting on it to get here, hopefully soon. So i know it isn't the pcv now. I went the smart route and replaced the pcv anyway since I have no idea if it has ever been replaced or how long the old one was going to last... but ran into another problem.. grrr.. the rubber L boot split in half and fell apart on me. Autozone doesn't have any in stock and won't order them, advance auto is a bunch of morons because they don't know what it is, even after i showed them a picture of it and explained to them where it goes and everything. I ordered one off of rockauto, but can't exactly wait the 3- days for it. So as a quick (assinine) fix, i duct taped the old one together as best i could to hold it together until my new one arrives. grrr this is ridiculous, all i want is the dang rough idle to and service engine soon lights to go off. With no code reader accessable to me, i can't exactly pull a code to pinpoint the problem, but if it is with the emissions, it would give me a generalized code though and that just leads to a guessing game anyway.So in 3-5 days i should have my fuel filter. tomorrow, after my brother gets here, im going to remove my egr and clean it. I want my brother here cuz hes the mechanic and he can oversee what imd oing to make sure it doesn't get all funged up.

So its still narrowed down (for me) to egr needs cleaned and fuel filter for the s.e.s light and rough idle.... anyone else have any suggestions to throw into the mix?

Last edited by Senshi09; 11-05-2010 at 10:06 AM.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:46 AM
Blazer Forum 2009 Ride of the Year Winner
nj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura aboutnj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura about

Autozone can run the codes for you for free btw. You might want to clean your throttle body as well. They usually get gunked up.

Old 11-05-2010, 12:51 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

MAF is also quite easy to clean, just be careful and use electrical contact cleaner only

Old 11-05-2010, 02:44 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by blazinloud
MAF is also quite easy to clean, just be careful and use electrical contact cleaner only

never thought of the MAF, that could cause these symptoms to huh? And i went to autozone earlier, the moment i pulled in the freaking s.e.s. light shut off. I asked them to run it anyway and it came back with nothing of course. When I got home, soon as i put it in park, the light came back on GRRR!!!