2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

rough idle and misfire at 30mph

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 06:14 PM
Beginning Member
nonblazing4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: rough idle and misfire at 30mph

OK back again. Its ran fine for a day 1/2 but now its back to like it was. I plan on checking on it tomrrow. If it is the boot coming off again what could be causing this and how would i keep it on. I have used dielectric before with my dad but i didnt us it when i did any work on mine. What does it do. Should i go back and put it on all the parts i have replaced. I remeber reading one post where the put it on there rotor button and it helped. Also i am going to give the icmand coil a try. Would anyone happen to have a pic of these two and about how much do they cost

Old 12-12-2008, 06:43 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

To answer the 'what does it do?' question - Dielectric grease protects electrical connections from condensation and corrosion, yet allows the electrical current to flow through the connection.

Old 12-13-2008, 04:46 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks. Well i think i found the problem thanks to swartlkk. I was at work today and i had some down time so i fiddled with my truck. I just checked for loose wires on the plugs and all where tight. Then it seemed like the boots on the rotor cap looked like they had worked off about 1/4' so i pushed them back on. Cranked it and wow back to normal. SO i guess the wires keep working off. Any tricks on keeping them tight,

Old 12-13-2008, 05:25 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

In his response, Kyle mentioned about using a small screwdriver when you put the boot on the distrbutor cap. You can slip the screwdriver under the boot as you push down on it to release any air that may be trying to trap inside the boot.

Old 12-15-2008, 06:28 PM
Beginning Member

Ok i will try that. Today it started doing it again so i will see if i can do that in the morning before work.

Old 12-16-2008, 11:55 AM
Beginning Member
Fivspeed is an unknown quantity at this point

Does it run fine every morning? Doyou only have problems after driving it for awhile?

When you found the loose spark plug wire, was it after the truck had sat for awhile? Same question with the boots on the rotor cap. How long had it been between shutting down your Blazer and messing with the plugwires?

It could be possible that messing with the spark plug wires did nothing to help you, but it seemed like it did because in between driving the Blazer and messing with the plug wires, your Blazer had enough time to cool down and mask the problem. Bad ICM's tend to show their broken when they get too hot.

Just mentioning this as another avenue, along the linesSwart was initially speaking of. The plug wires might be a red herring...or is it a snipe...or was it chasing mongoose. You get the idea.

Old 12-26-2008, 12:31 PM
Beginning Member

It runs rough all the time. The most my truck ever sits is over night. I work 7 days a week. It runs the same in the moring as it does when i get to work 90 miles away. When i was messing with the wires i had just drove it. I did try to pull one of the wires off the back left plug and the wire came out off the boot. So i going to have to get a new set of wires and put on. Well see if that has any effect.

Old 12-27-2008, 02:55 PM
Beginning Member

Well i took a better look at everything yesterday and after pulling out a few plugs on both side nothing seemed wrong. Check all the plug wire to make sure they were thigh and they all where. Before i went to pull off the icm it just pulled one plug wire off at a time while the truck was running to see where it was missing. Of course it was the last one we pulled off. We just twisted the wire around and it seemed to be firing fine now. If it happens again i and just going to put a new set of wires on it.

Old 12-28-2008, 02:02 PM
CMERK31 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was having the same problem for about 3 months. I cleaned the MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor and things started to run so much smoother. I have a 1999 GMC Envoy. Might as well be a blazer though... I just followed the steps on this website and it took me no longer than half an hour to do this and it made a huge difference.
https://blazerforum.com/m_145331/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm