2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

security!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 03:43 PM
Beginning Member
RatrodRacing is on a distinguished road
Default security!

Just baught a 2001 jimmy 4.3 4x4. Everything great except the barrel comes out of the ignition... As in the barrel comes out with the key and looks like it was JB welded so the tumblers dont need to be pushed... Anyway the last owner seid the truck either starts or doesnt, doesnt start as many times as it does start...

What ive noticed is if you put the barrel in upside down it will attemp to start but wont, But put it in the rightway and it starts like a champ..

Mostly my question is is there chips in the key or the barrel or anything?

thanks

Old 01-16-2012, 04:34 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds like someone stole the vehicle at one point or another, tearing out the ignition lock cylinder in the process.

You will probably need to get a new cylinder and have it keyed to match your doors at the dealership. Depending on the extent of the damage in the steering column, you may need a new upper section of the column. It is far easier to just replace the whole column with one from the junkyard though.

*Moving to 2nd Gen Tech*

Old 01-17-2012, 06:06 AM
Beginning Member

Naw it wasn't stolen, the steering wheel lock was messing up and a local "technition" is responsible for that...

The cylinder does bother me, its just that I don't know if its causing my no start?

Btw only one code on the obd2 scanner, a shifter relay.

Edit; it DOES NOT bother me

Last edited by swartlkk; 01-17-2012 at 07:02 AM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit function to add additional information in your post if another member has yet to respond.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:04 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If the cylinder is not properly activating the passlock sensor, then it will cause a start & die situation where the engine will start & run for 2-3 seconds, then quit. Unless there is a problem with the actual positioning of the ignition switch where it isn't closing the proper contacts for a given position... You could test the contacts of the ignition switch using the information in the ignition switch link at the bottom of my signature. It is also possible that you have a failing ignition switch independent of the cylinder issue.

Old 01-17-2012, 03:38 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks for the help! I hate chevy s10s, blazers, GMC jimmys, and sanomas.
Originally Posted by swartlkk
If the cylinder is not properly activating the passlock sensor, then it will cause a start & die situation where the engine will start & run for 2-3 seconds, then quit. Unless there is a problem with the actual positioning of the ignition switch where it isn't closing the proper contacts for a given position... You could test the contacts of the ignition switch using the information in the ignition switch link at the bottom of my signature. It is also possible that you have a failing ignition switch independent of the cylinder issue.

Old 01-17-2012, 05:05 PM
spittybays

you just need a hug

Old 01-17-2012, 10:36 PM
Beginning Member

No I work in a shop with 2 other techs and we dred the sight of them, altho they make us money lol. Our fire depo has acouple and there poison lol

Originally Posted by spittybays
you just need a hug