2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Serious Problems with Handling!! Need Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 10:39 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Serious Problems with Handling!! Need Help!!

If a sway bar end link is busted, it will not act the same. You really need to get a look at it. If all you are going to do is take it some place, then all of the speculation here is meaningless. At some point, you have to look at things yourself.

If you are unsure of what you are looking for, have your mechanic point out the specific problem areas. Bushings should not be heavily cracked or excessively swelled and gooey looking. The end links should be connected and solid. The tie rod end links, pitman arm (off the steering box), idler arm (off the passenger side of the frame), and ball joints should not have any play in them. These should be things that your mechanic should readily show you as being the problem areas.

Old 03-12-2008, 12:51 PM
Starting Member
lionel2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh yeah, when i got new brakes and rotors they also replaced the idler arm on the front passenger side. Could they have installed that idler arm wrong?? because ever since that was fixed and the brake pads and rotors its been terrible in handling. As far as pads and rotors that is not the problem. My guess is that idler arm was installed wrong or not good. thanks.

Old 03-12-2008, 01:13 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

That is a distinct possibility.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:49 PM
Starting Member

What exactly does the idler arm do?? Is it part of suspension? thanks.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:22 PM
Administrator

It holds the passenger side of the center steering linkage. If this goes out, your whole alignment will be off.

Old 03-13-2008, 01:12 PM
Starting Member

I told my mechanic about all this, and he said that it might be what you guys said it mightbe. Told him to check sway bars, bushings, bolts and nuts, and control arms and idler arm. He said he will call today before they close to give me an update. Dropped the car off today, earlier, they were not too busy today, so an early start on my car i guess. thanks.

Old 03-13-2008, 03:57 PM
Administrator

I wouldn't have told the mechanic anything of what we have discussed here... That gives a dishonest mechanic a clear picture of what you are expecting and instead of diagnosing it as a fresh slate. A dishonest mechanic will make sure that he can explain the necessity of replacing all of the components we discussed here... Good Luck!

Old 03-13-2008, 05:00 PM
Starting Member

So I should have played it dumb like I know nothing about cars. And see if he can fix it. I mean I know more than the average person about things with a car, But it doesnt hurt to tell my mechanic what I hear from other people as to what is wrong with my car. I feel the more information I give him the better. So he can narrow it down to find out what is wrong. Only I know what might be wrong cause I drive the car everyday and my shop doesnt work on blazers 24/7. I feel what I told him is good enough, All I said was it might be possible that the bushings and sway bar, and control arm or idler arm might wanna be looked at. I didnt say, oh some man on the internet told me this that and this. If my mechanic has heard what I explained to him, he might have had a similar experience with another car and could help fix the problem.

Old 03-14-2008, 04:26 PM
Starting Member

OK, So I got my blazer back from the shop. And here are the results, I needed 2 new front shock absorbers and a sway bar link kit installed. The car feels great now, rides little bit higher it seems, probably cause the new shocks. And it handles great over bumps and dips in the road. The new shocks are premiums and feel great. I looked on the NAPA web site to see what all is included in the sway bar link kit and it just has a picture of all the parts that go with the kit. Anyone know what all comes with the kit?? looks like bushings, new bolts, and some other things. I didnt want to go into the details with my mechanic cause they were trying to close up shop. He also said that my old front shocks were very weak when he took them off, but all 4 shocks were not originals, all 4 have been replaced at some point before I bought the car. Feels good to know now when the new shocks were put on. Thank you all.

Old 03-14-2008, 06:19 PM
Beginning Member
tgod is an unknown quantity at this point

Good to hearlionel2. Planning on doing my front shocks this weekend. As for the link kit, did you have them put on for you? If not, they aresimple to intall. The kit consists of a bolt, nut, bushing, and washers. http://www.oreillyauto.com/EW3/gpi?id=629861827

Edit: Ask for theMoog link kit. They have a stiffer thermoplastic bushing.

Quick Reply: Serious Problems with Handling!! Need Help!!