2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

SES light back on

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 06:36 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Torque Pro is a smart phone app that is used in conjunction with a bluetooth enabled scan tool. I use Torque Pro on my phone with a Scantool.net OBDLink MX OBD2 adapter.

I also have Autoenginuity's Proline connector for more involved jobs and have yet to find a diagnostic chart that I cannot perform all of the steps on, including setting the CMP Retard and running through the CKP Relearn on my friend's '01 Bravada. It can access all of the serial bus connected systems (ABS, TCCM, SRS, etc).

I have used a few different PC based scan tools and so far, the Autoenginuity tool has been the most "bang for your buck" tool I have used. I will be selling it soon to upgrade to EFI Live's Scan & Tune setup. About twice the money as Autoenginuity, but gives me the ability to make changes to the tune on both my Denali and our Duramax work truck.
Most of the Chinese Clone Bluetooth OBD2 adapters are pretty sad refresh rate, with the exception of the one BAFX device that I mentioned. I guess you avoided the Chinese clones altogether by getting the scantool.net adapter.

My $150 software is ScanXLPro with GM Enhanced package. I was able to use it in terminal mode to talk to my 4WD TCCM and to display camshaft retard. I thinkit does some ABS and other things as well but have not investigated. My $300 software is the HP Tuner's VCM Scanner only (without the capability for changing tune). It has the capability to do things like injector balance test, crank sensor relearn, and can control transmission, torque converter clutch, and a variety of other things. Of course there seems to be a lot of additional functionality that I have not yet investigated.

I have heard good things about the EFI Live, but no experience with it.

Didn't realize that Tuna was asking about the same hand held scanner that you have. If I remember correctly, your scanner was a handheld that did do a lot. Can't remember if you said it would trip crank relearn procedure but I'm quite sure it could display camshaft retard.

Les

Last edited by LesMyer; 06-04-2015 at 06:49 PM.
Old 06-05-2015, 10:46 AM
Starting Member
Tuna is on a distinguished road

Yikes! I think all this may be above my pay grade.You sure have provided some "food for thought". I'll have to chew on this a bit. The only other thing I can say at the moment is:

My SES light came back on yesterday while climbing a steep grade at about 45 mph, in the rain. So I'm now convinced it is not the fuel blend. Hence, the need for a good scan tool.
Thanks gentlemen!

Old 06-06-2015, 09:45 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Tuna
Yikes! I think all this may be above my pay grade.You sure have provided some "food for thought". I'll have to chew on this a bit. The only other thing I can say at the moment is:

My SES light came back on yesterday while climbing a steep grade at about 45 mph, in the rain. So I'm now convinced it is not the fuel blend. Hence, the need for a good scan tool.
Thanks gentlemen!
Don't be afraid. If you get a Digital volt/ohm meter and something to monitor the computer system like torque pro or the autoenginuity you can fix a lot of things yourself. Just pay attention to what people like Captain Hook and Swartlkk say to do to diagnose, and ignore the posts where a guess is being made. Captain already tried to get you started correctly in a previous post.

Last edited by LesMyer; 06-06-2015 at 09:58 AM.
Old 06-06-2015, 06:17 PM
07nhbpsi is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Tuna

Thanks gentlemen!
How about the Tsb that was realeased yrs ago regarding the random p0300 being related to valve guides binding up under a load????????? Maybe u should try doing a cylinder leak down test.......... this will tell u upfront if u are dealing with a mechanical issue.........or not!!!!!