2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

shady gauge wiring

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 05:07 PM
Starting Member
midnightmekanik is on a distinguished road
Default shady gauge wiring

So I took off my gauge panel to see if bad connection was responsible for my gauges going wonky when the turn signal is on. I found a wire soldered in to tie the SES, batt and SIR light together. The traces are cut for the SES and SIR light. Looks like its setup to light them up on startup, but not keep them lit because of codes being set... FML...

Attached Thumbnails shady gauge wiring-img-20110412-00003.jpg  

Last edited by midnightmekanik; 04-12-2011 at 05:10 PM.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:40 PM
Starting Member
midnightmekanik is on a distinguished road

So... Quick update... I took the wire off, and now my volt gauge is showing ~14.2V like the battery, instead of 12V it was showing before... I'm going to re solder the traces together either tomorrow of thursday, whenever I have some time to see if the SES light stays lit because of codes. Chances are it will as the truck is running pig rich, and choking itself out when giving it more gas to get up a hill...

Again... FML... LOL

UPDATE : So sure enough the SES light was lit up, as was the SIR light. I took out the airbag control module, so no more SIR light on. I brought the truck in to get the codes scanned, and the dealer's scan tool kept reporting back as OBD not ready?? The tech said it may be a connection problem, or a screwed ECM. We both looked and fiddled around with no success. Another tech came in and after watching us for about 1/2 hour, he asked if I boosted anyone lately. I replied that my neighbour needs a boost just about every morning, and he's too damn lazy to buy a new battery... He then says your ECM is fried. He begins to ask if I have shifting issues, starting issues, other random strange things. I replied that I did, and then he tells me that he has an ECM out of his old truck that he would sell for $100. I guess he was a betting man, because he said if it didn't work, he would fix my truck just charging money for any parts. If he was right, he wanted a case of beer.

Well, he put in the new ECM and fired it up. So far so good, and then he let me take it for a spin. It drove like a brand new truck!!! Beautiful shifts, no bogging, fantastic acceleration!! So I stopped at the beer store and got him his case of beer and $100!!!

I'm so glad it's fixed... I was seriously contemplating getting rid of it...

So moral of the story, be careful when boosting people, and if your neighbour asks too many times, tell him to go f#%^ a rope!! LOL

Last edited by midnightmekanik; 04-14-2011 at 06:22 PM.