2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Spider Injecter?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 06:33 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Is there any type of aftermarket alarm or remote start on the vehicle?

Old 06-24-2014, 04:23 PM
v8vette84 is on a distinguished road

Nope just the factory alarm.

Old 06-24-2014, 07:34 PM

I just tested the truck again to confirm pressures and I got 65psi while fuel pump is running, immediately goes to 60psi after pump shuts off, dropped to 10psi after 10 minutes.

Tested at filter and got 105psi (Maxed my gauge out) with pump running then dropped to 85psi after 10 minutes. Then I tried at the rail again and got the same first 2 numbers then the psi dropped to 50psi after 10 mins. Not sure what is going on. Spider leaking out? Maybe that is causing it to pool the fuel in the intake and it won't start because it becomes "flooded"?

Old 06-24-2014, 10:10 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Pressure and leakdown at the filter is good. Great pressure and leakdown numbers! Which means the pump is capable of supplying more than enough pressure, and the leakdown is well above the minimun of 55psi.

Regulated fuel pressure at the service port of 65psi is great! The immediate drop to 60psi is to be expected. The drop to 50psi is "technically" a problem, but probably not what's causing the extended crank times. The drop to 10psi is a definite problem, and it might be related to the drop to 50psi. Something in the plenum is leaking, but not consistently. If you came up with the same regulated pressure each time, I doubt the regulator is the problem. AND, as long as you didn't crank the starter, the injectors were not opened, which pretty much rules them out, and the poppet nozzles, (if equipped).

Could be:
Leaky O'rings in the fuel metering block, (needs to be re-sealed).
Leaky spider line from the metering block to the poppet, (needs injector upgrade).
Leaky fuel pressure regulator, (comes with the injector upgrade). Regulators can leak internally and externally.

If any one or more of these leak, fuel can pool in the lower intake, and you may be spot on with causing it to flood.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
Pressure and leakdown at the filter is good. Great pressure and leakdown numbers! Which means the pump is capable of supplying more than enough pressure, and the leakdown is well above the minimun of 55psi.

Regulated fuel pressure at the service port of 65psi is great! The immediate drop to 60psi is to be expected. The drop to 50psi is "technically" a problem, but probably not what's causing the extended crank times. The drop to 10psi is a definite problem, and it might be related to the drop to 50psi. Something in the plenum is leaking, but not consistently. If you came up with the same regulated pressure each time, I doubt the regulator is the problem. AND, as long as you didn't crank the starter, the injectors were not opened, which pretty much rules them out, and the poppet nozzles, (if equipped).

Could be:
Leaky O'rings in the fuel metering block, (needs to be re-sealed).
Leaky spider line from the metering block to the poppet, (needs injector upgrade).
Leaky fuel pressure regulator, (comes with the injector upgrade). Regulators can leak internally and externally.

If any one or more of these leak, fuel can pool in the lower intake, and you may be spot on with causing it to flood.
When it dropped to 10psi fast I had just tried to start it and it ended up having a dead battery so I was not able to start it. (It was easily able to prime the system though) After that I did the filter test and then came back and did the service port again and got similar numbers to the first time after replacing the pump.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:41 PM

So is this a situation where you would just do the injector upgrade as it was narrowed down to the intake somewhere or actaully open the plenum and take a look?

Old 06-24-2014, 11:54 PM

O well something else to knock off the list. Hey maybe it will solve my problems! I ordered the part. I have all the gaskets from doing the intake manifold gaskets and not using the upper set.

Old 06-25-2014, 03:27 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by v8vette84
O well something else to knock off the list. Hey maybe it will solve my problems! I ordered the part. I have all the gaskets from doing the intake manifold gaskets and not using the upper set.
This will fix it, same thing with my 98

Old 06-25-2014, 09:25 AM

I hope so! It sure would be nice!

Old 06-25-2014, 10:13 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by v8vette84
I hope so! It sure would be nice!
Not to hard of a job also

Quick Reply: Spider Injecter?