2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

starter stayin engaged! relayswitch?fuses

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 06:06 PM
FarmgirlINmi is on a distinguished road
Default starter stayin engaged! relayswitch?fuses

Ok i figured out why theres a goshawful grinding noise when shifting out ofpark or into a gear its the starter.. (happened 4xs now) its stayin engaged .. other stuff was not working as well today. radio/wipers/heater restarted car and everything worked.. sooooooo what now? never had a newer car before..lol replace what? please help we just bought this car and are a lil freaked... 2002 2wd 2 dr blazer

doesnt turn off properly either.. starin to think might be something simple with the ignition.. oh dear .. put lil grease in there and shuts off right.. no lights are on.. battery light/ mileage/ etc.. could i get that lucky.. doubt it..lol

Last edited by FarmgirlINmi; 03-13-2010 at 09:07 PM. Reason: adding info
Old 03-14-2010, 12:06 AM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

I (and probably others too) am not having a good time figuring out just what it is that you are trying to say...

You are starting the truck that the starter is staying engaged for a while? Like you start it and there is a screeching noise cause the starter bendix is not pulling back when you let go of the key???

Sometimes the radio and heater and wipers are not working at all, so you restart the truck and it works fine after being turned off and on again?

Doesnt turn off properly? Like you turn off the key and take it out and everything works just like when the key is in it and its turned on? Or you take the key out and the engine stays running?

Put a little grease in WHERE and it shuts off?

/facepalm

My kid brothers 2000 S10 4cyl was not shutting off when we turned the key off before, you would turn the key and nothing would happen, we would stall it out by sucking a plastic bag around the air filter (has a CAI kit on it) and then unhook the battery terminal... Also when he started the truck the motor would start fine, but nothing inside would work, dash lights, radio, windows etc... It ended up that him and my dad changed the ignition tunbler and something else electrical in the steering column to fix this problem - cost about a hundred bucks.

Last edited by ohsofly; 03-14-2010 at 12:15 AM.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:14 AM
Sadchevy is on a distinguished road

farm .........start your search for your problem at the nuetral safety switch. then move on to the ignition switch , starter relay, starter ,and then the wiring harness itself. you have a bad part somewhere that is keeping voltage and/or not releasing the starter relay causing the starter to stay engaged........i had the same problem on my 96 changed the starter relay and my problem was fixed.

her problem is the starter is staying engaged until she puts it in gear.....then re-engages when she takes it out of gear .

she also has another post with the same problem .......maybe a moderator can combine the two .

Last edited by Sadchevy; 03-14-2010 at 09:20 AM.