2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Steering box woes

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2024 | 06:21 PM
|
surreybrad will become famous soon enough
Default Steering box woes

I replaced the steering box and shaft on my 2005 Jimmy ZR2 and now the wheel is 90 degrees out. A wheel alignment would take the tie rods out of center. Can I pull the input shaft where the steering shaft goes into the box to properly align it or is fixed in one position like the steering shaft and pitman arm?

Old 03-29-2024 | 10:59 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by surreybrad
I replaced the steering box and shaft on my 2005 Jimmy ZR2 and now the wheel is 90 degrees out. A wheel alignment would take the tie rods out of center. Can I pull the input shaft where the steering shaft goes into the box to properly align it or is fixed in one position like the steering shaft and pitman arm?
If you have the rag joint and not have replaced it with an aftermarket universal joint, you should be able to detach it and reconnect the steering wheel once realigned. It is splined and I don't believe it is keyed.

I have not needed to deal with this, but I would think you will have to be careful not to damage the clockspring connection wire mechanism in the steering column. You'll have to carefully center the steering wheel without damaging it.

Old 03-30-2024 | 09:11 AM
|
surreybrad will become famous soon enough

The spline is keyed so my effort to try that failed. The clock spring is fine. The signals just don't cancel properly with the steering wheel out of alignment but still function. After discovering a 2010 Blazer Forum thread (https://blazerforum.com/forum/steeri...aligned-49074/) and a YouTube video it appears the so called "mechanical technician" at the repair shop failed to center the new steering box before reinstalling the pitman arm. There are 4 positions the arm can go on the keyed pinion shaft. Apparently you need to rotate the steering input shaft all the way back and forth to find the center point and then place the pitman arm on the pinion spine in the proper position. I'm in Canada and took it to a national chain shop called Midas Muffler. They blamed the misalignment on the new steering box I purchased from USA Rock Auto which was $1000 cheaper than the one they quoted. Corporate greed has infected Canada to a cr5ippling point. Today I am taking it back to the so called professionals with the video and the Blazer Forum posting where the guy who found himself in the same situation discovered and corrected the same mistake. Thank you for your input.

Old 03-30-2024 | 12:29 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by surreybrad
The spline is keyed so my effort to try that failed. The clock spring is fine. The signals just don't cancel properly with the steering wheel out of alignment but still function. After discovering a 2010 Blazer Forum thread (https://blazerforum.com/forum/steeri...aligned-49074/) and a YouTube video it appears the so called "mechanical technician" at the repair shop failed to center the new steering box before reinstalling the pitman arm. There are 4 positions the arm can go on the keyed pinion shaft. Apparently you need to rotate the steering input shaft all the way back and forth to find the center point and then place the pitman arm on the pinion spine in the proper position. I'm in Canada and took it to a national chain shop called Midas Muffler. They blamed the misalignment on the new steering box I purchased from USA Rock Auto which was $1000 cheaper than the one they quoted. Corporate greed has infected Canada to a cr5ippling point. Today I am taking it back to the so called professionals with the video and the Blazer Forum posting where the guy who found himself in the same situation discovered and corrected the same mistake. Thank you for your input.
Yes, the pitman arm!!! D'oh!

I should have thought of that as I recently replaced my steering gear! LOL

Glad you found a solution.

Old 04-28-2024 | 06:59 AM
Starting Member
CaseySummers is on a distinguished road

Thank you so much for sharing the link.
Spoiler

Last edited by CaseySummers; 05-13-2024 at 07:48 AM.