2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

stuck tailgate

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 11:31 AM
mikeemo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default stuck tailgate

Hi folks. Im brand new to this forum. This is my first post. I have a problem with the tailgate on a 96 Jimmy. The window pops up OK but the tailgate release doesnt work. The handle pulls out but the gate latch doesnt work. And of course the gate is closed ! I just bought the truck. It may be from lack of use. The trucks been sitting under a car cover in a cover it tent since June. Im hoping it just needs a good lube but I have no idea how to pop the latch to get the gate to come down. I posted on a another forum and there were instructions on how to pop the hatch open but not the gate. I need to get this open by Sat because I have to replace the rear wiper motor too. Can anyone out there tell me how to do this ?? Thanks !!

Old 01-18-2007, 01:05 PM
Jman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: stuck tailgate

Try climbing in the back and lifting the handle, ckeck to see if the bar that controls the latches is moving with the handle. maybe it just popped off the handle and you can get it with a pair of needle nose plyers. If your lucky it just needs some lube. If that is not the prob, I don't know what to tell you, cause with the gate close you can't get the plastic interior panel off.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum.

Old 01-18-2007, 01:09 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I took some pictures of the tailgate innards on the 2nd gens awhile back... Can't remember where they are though... I posted them. Run a search on 'rear hatch' or 'rear glass'... Something to that effect... You should be able to find it.

Old 01-18-2007, 02:06 PM
mikeemo is an unknown quantity at this point

Are the pictures on this site ?? I dont know where to look if they are.

Old 01-18-2007, 03:57 PM
Jman is an unknown quantity at this point

Use the search link at the top of the page.

Old 01-18-2007, 04:14 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Here ya go... Not sure if it shows exactly what you need, but the last post on the 2nd page (as linked to below) has some pictures showing the inside of the tailgate...

faulty rear hatch