2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Suddenly won't start

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 12:34 PM
Starting Member
abadinalbany is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Suddenly won't start

2001 4-door LT V6 auto 4WD

Recent history of unsolved EVAP and AIR codes. (All EVAP equipment seems to look good. The EVAP canister is also exposed by a hole in my bumper.) Was waiting on tests to finish running; 300+ miles later, 2 out of 4 tests still had not run.

Started and moved the truck a few feet yesterday. Started up fine. Started it up twice no problem actually. Didn't really drive it anywhere.

Today, just as I need to take a check to the bank, the thing won't start. Service engine soon light has popped back on for the first time since new battery a couple weeks ago. No way to read codes right now. Starter fires, but for the most part, nothing out of the engine. Occasionally it starts to engage, but doesn't really turn over. After those occasions, if I turn the key off, it sometimes jumps and bucks a bit after.

A couple times in the past it didn't quite want to start immediately, but after a few times of firing the starter, the engine would kick in.

Any insight or guidance appreciated, thanks!

Last edited by abadinalbany; 02-27-2010 at 12:38 PM.
Old 02-27-2010, 12:43 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

So the engine is actually turning over, just not firing...? Is that correct?

Old 02-27-2010, 12:46 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by swartlkk
So the engine is actually turning over, just not firing...? Is that correct?
I believe so. As long as I have regular starter noise, that equates to turning over, right? I've never been 100% clear on that term.

But occasionally it seems like it starts to/wants to fire ... and on those occasions, if I pull the key, it still kicks a bit after.

Old 02-27-2010, 03:51 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Turning over means that the crankshaft is actually spinning. If your belts are moving, then the motor is turning over.

If the starter were to not engage the flex plate, you could have starter noise, but the engine would not be turning over. However, the noise is quite different.

Old 02-27-2010, 06:56 PM
Starting Member
jimhens82 is on a distinguished road

open the hood and look while someone cranks the engine, to see if your cranking like kyle said, if its cranking and not starting theres an issue, but if your starter isnt grabbing the flexplate then your noises will be way different. does is sound like a normal engine cranking over or a grinding or a spinning noise? or just a click
clear this up and we will all help you out.

Old 02-28-2010, 01:14 PM
Starting Member

Seems to be turning over, yes. I just marked a belt and hit the ignition myself, but yeah, mark had moved.

Old 02-28-2010, 04:04 PM
Starting Member

Yep, buddy had a chance to stop over finally. Definitely turning over.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:03 PM
Starting Member
jimhens82 is on a distinguished road

is your battery ok, if so, id check for fuel pressure. sounds like it could be the pump if i am reading your post right. turn the ignition on and listen for the fuel pump to prime. should hear a buzz from the tank when you turn the key on. if no buzz, ur pumps probably out. pretty common on blazers.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:17 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by jimhens82
is your battery ok, if so, id check for fuel pressure. sounds like it could be the pump if i am reading your post right. turn the ignition on and listen for the fuel pump to prime. should hear a buzz from the tank when you turn the key on. if no buzz, ur pumps probably out. pretty common on blazers.
as mentioned, battery is near-new. that said, it died oddly quickly about a month ago ... I don't think I have many electrical tools here, not sure I can check the battery further at this time.

also, should have mentioned, the pump primes fine. it maaaaaaybe kind of seems like the almost-firing I get out of the engine occasionally is more likely to occur if I let it prime longer, or prime until the priming noise stops after a few moments ...

could it be a fuel filter issue? where is the filter on these?

Old 03-01-2010, 09:03 PM
jjnemoiii is on a distinguished road

The fuel filter is underneath your vehicle, mounted to the frame rail on the driver side, between the gas tank and the engine compartment.

Quick Reply: Suddenly won't start