2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Suggested OBD-II Code Readers

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 01:07 AM
93LT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: OBD-II Code Readers

You might want to check out the AutoXray 4000. Should be able to pick one up for a little over 200 US dollars. It has the 8 line display like my 6000, is totally upgradable if you want to add enhanced manufacturer specific OBD II codes, it is CAN ready right out fo the box as it is, also can be upgraded to scan OBD I as well should the need arise. Scanner is upgraded via an internet connection through your computer using that supplied software from AutoXray.

Old 11-07-2008, 07:22 PM
Beginning Member
rocksteady is an unknown quantity at this point

Since this is a 2005 post, I am sure other brands and models have come out.....

Any suggestions, as well as prices??

Stupid question here, does this thing read codes for any/all vehicles..?????Or do I need one for a specific make/model, like the Superchips programmer???

I have never used one before, but I had a check engine light, swapped out an 02 Sensor and all was great for a week, now the CEL is back on...

Old 11-08-2008, 12:59 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

There are many other, much newer threads on this subject...

Old 11-09-2008, 10:52 AM
Beginning Member

Did a search but could not locate them....

Old 11-11-2008, 01:21 PM
Beginning Member

Can someone point me in the right direction of the newer threads????

I can't seem to locate using the search criteria....

Old 11-11-2008, 08:14 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I know I have commented on this very topic more recently than what I have turned up (see below), but you really need to answer some questions as to what you can afford and what you are trying to do.

what would you recommend - 95 OBD1.5 specific so may not fit with your requirements
what type of scan tool to buy? - Has a lot of pertinent information and is a bit newer than this thread, but still 2+ years old.
how to display check engine codes? - Newer still, but lacking in the variety that I think you are looking for. Still over 1 year old.

Anyway, what are you trying to do with this scan tool? What kind of stuff do you want it to be able to interface with? How much money do you want to spend on it?

Generic OBD2 codes can be read by pretty much any generic OBD2 scan tool. You can get this service for free from most autoparts stores (Advanced and Autozone are two in my area that do this for free). To get into the manufacturer specifics, you need more advanced tools. Some have data packs that can be purchased to add functionality. Some have bi-directional controls to perform true diagnostic steps.

You really need to know what you want to get out of it before purchasing one.

Old 11-13-2008, 11:02 AM
Beginning Member

Thanks...I will read the above threads before I go any further...

Old 11-13-2008, 12:00 PM
Administrator

Ask back up in this thread if you need further clarification. It seems that our search has started dropping results from other sections (as far as I can tell) as I have noted this same phenomenon in other areas of the forum when trying to find a previous post that I know I had written or responded to. For that I am sorry for using the same typical line of "SEARCH".

Old 11-13-2008, 12:16 PM
Starting Member
95Blzr is an unknown quantity at this point

I bought this one from walmart
It does the job, will also tell you if you will pass emissions.I also bought one to hook up to my laptop and datalog for $20(ebay) it worked great on my 1995, showed me all the sensors and could monitor everything. Also was usb. Going to try it soon on the 98.

Old 11-13-2008, 12:47 PM
Starting Member
Smoked is an unknown quantity at this point

I've used HP Tuners and Autotap before...both are excellent for what they offer. Now i'm cheap and only want to read sensors and clear codes so i'm thinking of buying this one... http://www.myscantool.com/store/

$139.99 for the usb version.

Seems a decent deal.

Quick Reply: Suggested OBD-II Code Readers