2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Sunroof sensor problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 01:55 PM
Beginning Member
S10SUV is on a distinguished road
Default Sunroof sensor problem

there appears to be a problem with one of the sonsors on the sunroof, here are the sypmtoms:

If I press and hold the rocker switch to open-tilt the sunroof it will open it fully but not stop and will just start closing it again, but will not stop at the closed point and will start to open-slide.

If I press and hold the rocker switch to open-slide the sunroof it will open it fully and not stop until it appears to "run off the end of the track", to close it from that point requires repetitive close open-close open-close pressing of the switch with gradual increase in travel until it finally catches and closes but will not stop and will start to open-tilt.

Getting it to stay closed means careful use of thw switch to edge it closed to the fully closed point where it pops into place.

I presume that a sensor is broken or has become detached, but I don't know where to start looking for the offending sensor(s).

All help much appreciated - thanks in advance.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:50 PM
step66 is an unknown quantity at this point

Good Day! Well there are no sensors for the sunroofs in these units-it is strictly electrically and mechanically controlled. I am suspecting the switch or complete module.
Also inspect for track issues (tightness). I have a highly sensitive switch in my 97 and have to baby it to get the glass to set right! Luck to you!

Old 03-21-2011, 07:33 PM
RonJon is an unknown quantity at this point

The sunroof has 3 limit switches in it so it knows when to stop and when to reverse polarity on the motor to move it in the proper direction. Unfortunately the Factory manual I have gives no information on where they are or how to fix them if you have a problem. Only hints I can give are: In the 8 pin connector going to the control module, you have to remove the roof liner to replace it (module) but you may be able to access the plug if you drop the overhead switch assembly, the black/white is common to all 3 switches. Measuring with an ohmmeter - LS1 (white) will be open approaching the vent position, close when leaving the vent position and remain closed until the sunroof is almost fully slid back (it does "soft stops"). LS2 (red) will be closed in the vent position but will open in the flush (closed) position and if you slide the roof back LS2 will open, then close again in the fully open position , LS3 (black) will be closed in the flush position (or the whole slide range actually) and open throughout the vent range. Also check the 4 wires relative to body ground with the connector off to make sure none are shorted to ground. Also the three limit switch wires should each have 5v+ relative to the black/white when the power is on.

Old 03-22-2011, 04:25 PM
Beginning Member
S10SUV is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the quick response Step66 & RonJon. I'll print off this info so I have it to hand when I get the next opportunity to have a look at the roof - probably the weekend now. Cheers guys.