2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Think its the tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 09:36 PM
mushhhy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Think its the tranny?

All right this is going to sound strange but, here I go.
I will explain it like this. I recently had the tranny rebuilt in my 97 blazer nothing fancy just a rebuild, since that time I have come to notice that when I am at a cruising speed of say 45 or more on a smooth road I feel a give and take in the acceleration in is not noticible unless I am going over 45 and it happens in drive and overdrive. I thought there was a problem with the torque converter clutch and took it back to be looked at. the guy told me it was a miss in my engine and offered to tune it up. I turned this offer down.

I just installed a remanufactured engine and only have appx 11,000 mi. on it, and I am getting no check engine lite or codes with my scanner. I had a freind hook up a more proffesional scanner (snap on) when he hooked it up there was a misfire code stored in the memory, after clearing the code and running the vehicle several miles and experiencing the problem several times the code never returned.

I do not know witch way to go I do not want to just start throwing more money into without having some good direction as to what the problem might actually be. This thing should be purring like a kitten and I want to get it there

Anyone with any helpful information as to what the problem may be your help will be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-07-2006, 10:04 PM
Default RE: Think its the tranny?

Don't just read it PLAY with me a little SAY SOMETHING[]

Old 04-07-2006, 10:19 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Calm down a bit. Please wait atleast 12hours before bumping a thread. You can't expect everyone to jump off their chair to help you at your instant need.

Old 04-07-2006, 11:02 PM

Sorry, I was just trying to put a little humor into it.
I apologize and will be patient and appreciative of any help.

Thanks

Old 04-07-2006, 11:41 PM
blazingsadle is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like a lockup question?

Of course we have some other questions to answer first. Do you have a tach? If so, do you look at it when this is going on? Does it drop and go up 300-500 rpm?

Are you sure your tranny was rebuilt? This is not a used transmission? I'm looking for something that tells me whether this is a 700r4 or the later model all electronic?

My thing is this: the main problem with the 700r4 when factory stock is the simple fact that driving it at that particular speed is what creates a headache for everyone that has ever had one of these. It sounds to me as if your main pump is a little weak and this is probably just age. Might simply not have been replaced for a rebuild. ALL the tranny hop up kits will cure this problem. It has numerous names and the solution is the same for all of them. Pressure is increased in some way shape or manner to the right place to get rid of it.

I drove one for about 300 thousand miles and it did it the whole time. Never drove at that speed, just went up to 50 and down to 40.

Darn thing always acted as if it couldnt make up its mind.

I suppose a transmission additive might increase pressure a little. I suppose using a better or higher grade of fluid might help.

Of course you may have a real problem and I may be off on a diffferent tangent. No problem if you just tell me. Any further info will be helpful to solving the problem.

Old 04-08-2006, 12:12 AM

No tach I will find the type of tranny ( I am leaning toward the 700r4) in the AM as it is raining now
I paid the guy for a complete rebuild so I hope it was a complete rebuild.
When I experience the problem there is not really a noticeable difference in my speed or the sound of the engine (that I have noticed I will now pay attention)
It has only been about 5,000 mi. since the rebuild and the reman. Engine only has appx. 12,000 mi on it.
When I had it in his shop to be looked at in addition to suggesting a tune up he mentioned that my injectors needed cleaned or replaced.

Old 04-08-2006, 01:11 AM
mmbii is an unknown quantity at this point

should be a 4l60 may or may not be an E

Old 04-08-2006, 03:12 AM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road

I would ask the tranny builder what parts where replaced and what showed thge most damage. (cooked valve body ect.) I understand there is a 3-4 gear problem w/ the 4L60E. Dunno about if you have a 700R4 unless someone stuffed one in there and hacked the PCM.

Old 04-08-2006, 10:59 AM

The tranny is a 4L60E on the receipt it is stated complete overhaul, rear sprag assembly and rear planetarywere relaced.

when I took it in I had no second gear and he told me I was lucky to have gotten it there due to damage to the rear planetary. I am not certain I have a tranny problem (I hope Not) I just want to be certain. I want it to run as well as possible and, if there is a problemI want to know before warrantty expires.

I just took a short trip and the code light came on (first time in awhile) the code is P0300 Random Cylinder Misfire. Could this becausing the problem with what I think is the tranny? What can I do to try to find out what this is.