2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Timing belt about to fail?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 10:16 PM
Banned
TFisher is on a distinguished road

It doesn't diesel, but sometimes has a little trouble getting the RPMs up when I start it from cold. <-- Just developed today. But no, it doesn't diesel. I don't have a timing light but I'll see if I can remedy that because I thought there should be absolutely no play in the distributor at all. I also intend to cut the cat out during this week.

I was wondering if the cap could've been carboned up already because of bad spark wires, the ones on there are very old so I am going to get a new set. If all of these big $$ repairs keep coming, the timing chain might have to wait 'till after Christmas.

Oh, dumb question: Should I avoid running it 'till I get this fixed?

okvortec: Congrats, I knew someone would give me crap for idling all the time, but I didn't think it would take this long. Yes, I am absolutely aware of the wear it is to idle all the time, but you see, I attend a college with very limited parking and a lot of time in between classes, there really isn't anything else to do when you get there an hour early every day and your friends all go to class on different days. Most of the time I am in it while it is idling, sucking up the a/c. I don't just let it run for no reason.

Old 11-29-2009, 11:32 PM
okvortec is on a distinguished road

Eh, I guess it just seems like a stupid thing to do to me, but to each their own.. it's your truck.

I was just trying to be helpful, believe it or not some people are dumb enough to not know that idling pointlessly can reduce engine life.

Also, you will notice I was not the first to mention it, good try though.

Old 11-30-2009, 09:48 PM
Banned

okvortec: No problem, I'm not trying to bust anybody's chops, just havin' a little fun. And I see now that no you weren't the first, so you have lost your prize...

I am going to get a pipe to put in place of the catalytic converter probably Wednesday, and I hope to have everything welded in place by Saturday, I suck at welding so I'll have to let my dad do that part. I am sorry that this is straying so far from the title, I should've chosen a more generic title!

Old 11-30-2009, 10:57 PM
okvortec is on a distinguished road

We're all here to help, let us know if the work you're going to do fixes the problem.

Old 12-07-2009, 12:22 PM
Banned

Took out the catalytic converter, but all of the studs broke so I'll need to get a torch to blow them out (drill bits won't even touch them, neither will the air hammer!) THE CATALYST WAS BROWN and full of dust!!!! (This problem has occured just after I used chevron techron additive) So I fired it up with nothing behind the y-pipe and noticed better throttle response (didn't drive, just noted it was easier to rev). I have yet to drop the pan on the tranny to check that out, but I have a good feeling that the cat was f'ed up.

Regards,

Thomas

Old 12-08-2009, 08:59 PM
Banned

FIXED:
It was the cat! I put it all back together and the power is back! Finished up just as a real heavy snow was starting, so I even got to take her out and play for a while! The sound is much deeper and I don't have a CEL yet, but I am pretty sure that is coming, probably on the fourth or fifth full warmup.

I still intend to do some of the other preventative stuff I mentioned, but now I can get back and fourth to college (despite the fact that this Thursday is my last day till January!)

Next question: What is your favorite catalytic converter? (I wish not having one was an option!)

Thanks everyone!

Regards,

UPDATE: 12/09/09 Today was the fourth warm-up with no catalytic converter. Still no CEL!
UPDATE: 12/09/09 Fifth warm-up and still no CEL! I have a good feeling about this!
UPDATE: 12/10/09 It came on at the end of the eighth warm-up, as soon as the temp hit 210.

Thomas

Last edited by TFisher; 12-10-2009 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Add new information