2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Torsion Bar Question/Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2021, 12:11 AM
RTJ49 is on a distinguished road
Default Torsion Bar Question/Help

My 2000 Bravada sits level on the front end. Both sides measure within an eighth of an inch of each other. At the torsion bar rear mount the keys are adjusted way different from each other, Driver side key bolt is almost out. Passenger side key bolt is almost all the way in. Is this correct? I wanted to lower the front end about one inch. I do not think one side has much left to lower. I am new to the torsion bar suspension so any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
RTJ49
2000 Bravada

Old 07-10-2021, 01:42 PM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

Think I would put a jack under the front cross member, then loosen both sides a little at a time until both are loose, pull the keys off and compare them....make sure they are the same. (Also the torsion rods appear to be the same). If keys are the same, put them back on and crank each a couple of turns at a time...compare left & right heights...see if you can get them about equal turns and the ride height you want.

If the keys are different, well...then you have your answer as to why they are crank'ed different.

Good luck with this....let us know what you find out.

Old 07-12-2021, 10:43 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

Just to add on to what Lanny said, there were a number of different torsion bar keys that came on the S-series trucks with varying degrees of angle. They had a coloured paint drop on them to code them, and maybe have a part number stamped on them? It might be more work than it's worth, but you might be able to find a lower angle torsion bar key at a pick-n-pull to help you with your lowering goals?

I did research into these many years ago, and found that ironically it was the ZR2's that often had the lower angle torsion bar keys. I also learned that the vehicles often came with different left vs right index angle keys. The torsion bar keys do have an RPO code, and will come up on a detailed printout of your VIN. I don't think it says the angle, but it will show the part numbers for both the left and right key.

Old 07-12-2021, 02:48 PM
Beginning Member
steveduns is on a distinguished road

Before you do any adjusting get a torsion bar adjusting tool - free loaner at most parts stores. Some try it without the tool but those things are under a lot of pressure so be careful. And before you start turning the adjustment bolts mark your starting point and count the # of turns in/out so you can get back to where you started if needed.