Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

how to change torsion bar mount

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 10:13 PM
Brandon Koharchik is on a distinguished road
Default how to change torsion bar mount

Hi I have a 2000 blazer. first off I think they're bad because they're poping when I apply the brakes. I checked everything and it was tight as a virgins.... but the whole cross member can move around. I believe that is the noise I hear. so the big question is how do I change it? is there any certain tools I need to use or just loosen the torsion bar? thanks

Old 10-30-2013, 10:00 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

You need a torsion bar unloading tool to take the tension off the torsion bars before you unbolt the mounts. If you have a repair manual follow those instructions. Here's a simplified version of what you'll need to do to change the torsion bar crossmember mounting bolts and bushings:

1. Mark or measure torsion bar bolts on the torsion bar keys so you can return them to the proper depth when you're done.
2. Jack truck up and put it on jack stands.
3. Using torsion bar unloading tool to remove tension from the bars and then remove the adjustment bolt and block from below the torsion bar keys.
4. Carefully remove the torsion bar tool so there is no tension on the torsion bars at all.
5. Remove the bolts from the torsion bar cross-member and replace bushings and hardware.
6. Reassemble in reverse order, making sure to return the torsion bar adjustment bolts to the same depth. Changing the depth of the torsion bar adjustment bolts will affect your alignment and can cause premature tire wear if you adjust them without getting an alignment done.

Old 09-11-2017, 10:02 PM
Eric Ferguson is on a distinguished road
Default Broken torsion bar crossmember

I was driving down a small dip in the road today , and a loud pop went through the blazer . Got it home and the drivers side front tire is almost touching the fender . I got under it and the torsion bar crossmember is cracked and busted all around where the torsion key mounts in the crossmember. It's rusted out really bad in that area. the torsion bar key is actually pulled slightly sideways. I've checked everywhere locally and can't find a crossmember anywhere , any ideas guys?

Old 09-12-2017, 06:32 PM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

Hey Eric. First of all, you normally should start your own new thread with your question.

The best place I can think of for you to look for a new cross-member is an auto-wreckers or pick-n-pull.

Old 01-20-2018, 06:38 AM
Starting Member
Rc Parks is on a distinguished road

Did you guys ever figure out how to change the link type mounts. I have a 2000 blazer and my book doesn't even tell me how to change them out. Thanks

new here