2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Towing and Trans Cooler

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 08:06 PM
Beginning Member
TrailBlazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Towing and Trans Cooler

I plan on towing a trailer with my 1999 4 door Blazer 4x4. Trailer should be about 1500 lbs with 2 quads about 1000 lbs. So about 2500 lbs total. Should this be good? Second I am going to put a trans cooler on but was wondering if anyone has pictures of how you mounted it? and how you ran your line? Inline with factory cooler or bypass it?

Old 01-04-2009, 08:58 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Towing and Trans Cooler

A cooler is a good addition regardless of how much you are towing.

If you are in a cold climate and will not be towing for the majority of the use, I would install the cooler on the upper hose on the radiator, inline with the stock cooler. This would put the auxilliary cooler ahead of the stock cooler in the cold (output to the engine) side of the radiator (cold is relative to the temperature on the hot or inlet from the engine side of the radiator). What this does is prohibits over cooling of the transmission fluid which can cause long transmission warm up times and reduce mileage due to the torque converter being slipped in efforts to warm up the fluid. Using a B&M SuperCooler also will decrease the likelihood of this happening.

For hot climates where transmission warm up time is not too much of a concern, you could either bypass the stock cooler all together or if space is a premium and an overly large auxilliary cooler cannot be used, put it inline with the lower cooler line which is the return to the transmission. By putting it inline with the return to the transmission, you will be maximizing the cooling of the transmission fluid.

The stock cooler actually does remove a bunch of heat as liquid to liquid coolers are much more efficient than liquid to air even considering the already elevated temperatures that the "cold" tank on the radiator experiences once fully warmed up.

As far as hose routing, going to the top hose is the easiest and you can just drill through the plastic air deflector that is off the passenger side of the radiator to get your hoses through. Be careful though as it can and often does crack out when you are trying to drill through it.

For mounting, I usually fab up some straps to hard mount it, but I do that just in case I have to remove the radiator for any reason. That way I do not have to mess around with the tie straps that are typically used. The tie straps can be an easy mounting option. To make it easier when installing the tie straps, remove the upper radiator shroud.