2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Tranny crossmember

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 09:53 PM
Beginning Member
lynnmcd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tranny crossmember

My passenger side of rear tranny crossmember is very rusty and looks as if it could break. I searched for ways of replacing with no luck. I suspect I should put a jack under the transmission case before unbolting the 4 bolts. Any help?
Should I get one from salvage yard?

Old 04-02-2008, 05:42 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Tranny crossmember

Does it just look rusted or is it rusted through? Have you used a screw driver to 'sound' the steel? These things rust from time to time, but it is only surface rust much like the different sections of the frame.

What is it that you are driving? This information is necessary to move this post into the proper generational section. We are trying to clear out the Gen Tech section (as the post at the top of this section details).

Old 04-02-2008, 06:40 PM
Beginning Member

1999 Bravada
The crossmember is rusted to point of having hole on the ventral portion in one 6 inch section of passenger side. The steel is flaking. Any suggestions on removing (jack under
transmission for support?)

Old 04-02-2008, 07:49 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You can jack under either the transfer case or the transmission. If under the transmission pan, use a board to span the width of the pan for added support. Then unbolt.

*Moving to 2nd Gen Tech*

Old 04-02-2008, 08:22 PM
Beginning Member

Having a hard time finding one-- will a Chevy S10 blazer
transmission cross member fit without cutting holes,etc?

Old 04-02-2008, 08:35 PM
Administrator

Any '98+ S-Series 4wd 4dr SUV will work. So any '98+ 4wd/Awd 4dr Blazer, Jimmy, or Bravada.

*EDIT* I didn't think I needed to list that it must come from an Automatic equiped vehicle as I thought that would be known already. Basically any S-series suv that matches your specs (4dr, 4wd/awd, auto).