2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

trying to increase gas mileage....

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 06:54 AM
zacemiden is on a distinguished road

Does anyone recommend a K&N cold air intake or any intake?...Interested in hearing the additional mileage for a Blazer. Watched tons of videos on Youtube and site videos, and they say and added 5-7 mpgs...plus alittle extra HP never hurt. Ive got a 96 Blazer and get about 15 so, getting to 20 would say me about 100 every two weeks...

Old 08-17-2012, 03:05 PM
Starting Member
99lsdriven is on a distinguished road

I've actually "researched" the hp side of cold air intake and dyno runs have proven that even with the most expensive cone filter, hp is not affected. Not sure about the gas mileage, hasn't helped me much but one result is never enough to prove a theory. Looking forward to seeing other comments on the question.

Old 08-17-2012, 04:30 PM
step66 is an unknown quantity at this point

A lot of folks extoll the vitues of a C A I! But 99lsdriven may be correct,they improve breathability somewhat,which increases efficiency on paper:I installed one and it made the engine come alive at 3500-5100 RPM;but since my Jimmy so rarely sees those revs it has done me no real benefit! I still feel that terrain,environment and driving habits are the critical issues regarding fuel economy.Living in a flat rural area and consistantly get 24 or better from my unit! On a recent trip to the mountains,I got 16! these are actual calculations,not from the computer! When I lived in a severe winter climate my old 96 got about 12 from being in 4 x4 all the time and pushing against the snow and cold it would sometimes be as low as 8-10,but thats at -30*!

Old 08-17-2012, 08:05 PM
bearblazer is on a distinguished road

The things that will gain the best mileage and are fairly easy to do are, CAI( increasing flow will increase mileage and power), High flow exhaust (headers, high flow cat, and mufflers), Replacing electrical system with aftermarket units like MSD. Then the next things to do would be removing unneeded rotating mass, using lightweight wheels, lug nuts, pulleys, driveshafts,ect. ( remember unsprung weight is more benificial than sprung weight when it comes to fuel economy). Also Electric fans have been proven to increas mileage as well, dont for get about synthetic oils and the importance of an engine tune (remaping the fuel and ignition maps) or programers.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:39 AM
zacemiden is on a distinguished road
Default Installed a K&N AIR intake

Good morning everybody !!...I went out and searched for a K&N intake and found one for my 1996 Blazer. Bought it from Amazon and had it delivered yesterday. It said it can be installed in about an hour which was true, detailed instructions and pics to match. Since my last post, I downloaded an app called "Gas Cubby" for my Iphone to give me some fuel and gas mileage averages..which have been 15.5 MPGs...Im using it to see if it really does improve gas mileage or MPG's...It DEFINITELY does increase throttle response since driving it yesterday...WOW !!!...here's some pics to see what it looks like before and after...

Attached Thumbnails trying to increase gas mileage....-photo%5B1%5D.jpg   trying to increase gas mileage....-photo2.jpg   trying to increase gas mileage....-photo3.jpg   trying to increase gas mileage....-photo4.jpg  
Old 08-30-2012, 08:15 AM
Beginning Member
USMarine1108 is on a distinguished road

With my 96 4dr 4wd I get 16 in town (doesn't really mean anything because every in town drive is different with stops and speeds) and 22 cruising on the interstate @ 76mph.

I think the 3 easiest ways to improve mileage are:

- Make sure your tires are properly inflated
- Make sure your trans fluid is correct (when you get a truck with factory trans that has 170k on the clock, you may be a little low on fluid which will kill your mileagae REAL quick)
- Add a vaccum gauge. It acts like a "engine load" gauge and if you know how to read it and keep the needle where it should be while driving, you can improve your mileage quite a bit.

A can of seafoam every once in awhile helps a lot too.