2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Upper manifold cleaning questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2019, 06:03 PM
Starting Member
Trukntigger is on a distinguished road

Thing of beauty..hello mfi injection. Not quite as easy as I wished but manageable.

MFI installed, you really do have to bend those tubes like a contortionist and not kink them.

Weird how they send it with the fuel tubes facing wrong way and you need to loosen up the bolts and spin them round other way then 3 behind 1 and plug in order- 3,5,1,2,4,6. Did not seem like I kinked any and all fully inserted tho number 3 was the worse. Directions don’t say but I found it easier to push bracket on, insert first few then put bracket on holding screw. I did use the new bracket and screw.

Now I’m managing a big headache from the stress of this and the fumes. Nice out here tho so opened garage and patio doors and breeze flowing thru. Thanks about getting older gets “better”, birthday near end of month. Happy happy, joy joy.

Old 04-06-2019, 07:24 PM
odat will become famous soon enough

Ya - I'm mid month, good OL tax day, another year older and stuck you know where by Uncle Sam all in the same day ... LOL

Old 04-06-2019, 07:58 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Man, them valve covers cleaned up nice!

Old 04-07-2019, 10:48 AM
Beginning Member
Frank Bukowski is on a distinguished road
Default Trukntigger (LIM)

HI ,
Started reading your posts , and I just wanted to let you know what a great job you have done with the cleaning & prep work , and my hats off to you if this was your very first one !! My motto is "NEVER TOO CLEAN" as I've rebuilt a few engines & transmissions , and seen dedicated engine assembly rooms

Old 04-07-2019, 11:40 AM
Starting Member

Thanks guys, yea my first time doing this kind of job. Up to now was always the simplier things (in my view) like spark plugs, oil changes and brakes- you know, general maintenance stuff. Doing a fuel pump was a rare thing, or diagnose and replace say a Idle air valve or my cruise control recently but this job I admit I’m in over my head and out of my comfort zone.

I slept so hard last night, just wiped out. Morning coffee time and catch up on forums and such. Figure 80% done and my sons pals checks in on me last night about midnight or so. (He dropped off a favor project for him- busted Keurig to fix) and tells me looks good and why dont you fix that front bearing seal leak while at it? Okay, yea it needs repair but I do not have the tools for that kind of work like pulling the harmonic balancer off. “I got one for you” he said. Umm gee thanks? Tell me this after I got it almost back together, some pal.

This job as shown me 2 things for sure, for cleaning parts i need to get a mounted bench grinder so I can run various wheels to clean, buff, polish this stuff (by hand takes for ever). Second, ever so thankful for the internet and places like this forum. You people been a great help believe it or not. Between searches, parts and pics and just feedback getting this job done is actually plausible for a newb to it like myself. I think I’ve mentioned, never had shop classes or such. All my skills are tech based like computer programming, electronics and typing of all things. (My first real computer programming was with punch cards-dont go there)

Here is latest- as it stands right now. Alternator still needs to be finished, fuel lines at back need to be tightened, air box, water lines, some vacuum stuff, throttle linkages, battery tray and battery then have new plugs and wires to do.

So far so good.

Note: part of the reason I’ve been cleaning these parts so much is the best way to find if I did this right with no leaks is if I can see it leak so has to be clean enough for me to spot it and my eyesight is not good, need all the edge I can get and besides easier to work on if it is cleaned up.

Old 04-07-2019, 12:59 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

A bench grinder would be great for cleaning stuff, until then you might try what I do, wire cup on a drill, takes off grease and dirt pretty easily.

Also, I like the idea of using a paint marker to write what and when you did repairs. Unfortunately, I would have ran outta room in the truck years ago lol. Would have been writing on the body panels!

Old 04-07-2019, 01:30 PM
BF Veteran
DonL will become famous soon enough

Looks good!

Old 04-07-2019, 02:17 PM
Starting Member

Well I can’t take credit for the paint pen, prior owner started that and I liked it so continued. You can erase it to update if you use the water based one. Wife gave me mine, she scrapbooks and had a bunch. Says opaque pigment marker, Permapaque in silver. Store it horizontally and has two different tips on each end.

i used a wire brush, putting each part in a vise to use a drill even worse. Doing this just shows me how useful a bench grinder could be. So somehow I’m short a few nuts here, digging up a couple out of my miscellaneous box of screws/bolts/nuts/washers- I think everyone has one of those. Looking at it now seems best time to change plugs before I pace air box and related hardware in place. Not sure if bright idea but took the liberty of rerouting some of this stuff under hood, was a real mess so more organized to me now. Back to it...

Old 04-07-2019, 09:27 PM
BF Veteran
DonL will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Trukntigger
So somehow I’m short a few nuts here, digging up a couple out of my miscellaneous box of screws/bolts/nuts/washers- I think everyone has one of those....
My dad has a filing cabinet of assorted such...

Old 04-07-2019, 09:45 PM
Starting Member

Whew, about done gang. Need to shove it outside Monday and flush out antifreeze (what’s left) then back in and fill it up after everything set. The final stuff, connect up heater core lines and plug from radiator. Install new cap and hook up negative to battery. Prime it a few key cycles and cross my fingers. One question, what is this connector too? I can not find anything not plugged in. It’s on the end with the air conditioning plug. If I recall there was one that was just in some slide metal hook near driverside valve cover not plugged into anything but my pics dont show me. Input?

It’s on the tail end with ac plug. If you look close can see the grove on right to slide into metal bracket. Extra? Dont recall it plugged into anything.

Anyway I feel beat. Why is it that number 3 cylinder is a pain on everything in this truck? Bad for injector, criss crossed on plug wire to cap and even changing the spark plug on it is a real pain. Did get all those plugs swapped but again kinda a pity. The ones already in it were in very good shape still. Distributor cap was dated from 2016 with usual paint pen. Replaced that cap and rotor and wires too. Here’s a basically final overview shot. Enjoy.

This had better be right. My body cant do much more.

Going to relax a while, think I earned it besides too sore everywhere to do anything else. Laters- Tig

Quick Reply: Upper manifold cleaning questions