2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Upper manifold cleaning questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 03:24 PM
Starting Member
Trukntigger is on a distinguished road

Ok, you all talking kinda Greek to me. I understand timing marks but with my eyesight would hard to see. Heck using a tactical flashlight in broad daylight to see the bolt for the cap as is. I had made marks to line it up. Now I think I messed it up. TOp it off found that I failed to plug in the distributor cap wire harness, amazed it ran. Bet it that was issue but no, I found it after I tinkered so now how do I put it back? Or is that where my tach gauge comes from even tho ODB read it.

Old 04-08-2019, 03:59 PM
Starting Member

This the line for tdc?

Can’t get it to stop right with the notch but its right below it if this is the mark. Found article online no preparation of distributor and also to line up that oil pump. Guess key is the TDC on 1. How close to that mark and is there a fake mark? Hard to do solo but I’m trying here. Bit of help?

Old 04-08-2019, 04:15 PM
Starting Member

I took a large adjustable wrench to fan bolt and manually turned it so line on harmonic matches timing line..if that is the correct line. Few articles online say there more than 1? Assuming that’s tdc I should be able to line it all up...? Yes?no?

Old 04-08-2019, 04:17 PM
BF Veteran
DonL will become famous soon enough

I used a socket wrench on the alternator with the battery disconnected. You can line it up perfect. Mine way white

Easiest way, is find both lines, and when you line one up, the other one should be under it out of view from above...

Old 04-08-2019, 04:25 PM
BF Veteran

Once that line is good, drop in the distributor and see where it sits.

When you line up the needle to the 6 on the distributor, it turns away when dropped in place properly, it will sit just off the mark by about a quarter inch or less... if you line up the distributor when it is out of vehicle and look at bottom, you will see a flat "bar" in the inner circle.

I used my camera on my phone to take a short video to see where the oil pump lined up with. A mirror and flash light will also work.

If that's out of line, you will need to take a long flat head screw driver, 12"-14" long, and adjust it. Christine helped me out a bunch with letting me know about that.

Old 04-08-2019, 04:35 PM
Starting Member

On it, my first attempt failed, no start. Tear apart and try again.

Old 04-08-2019, 05:19 PM
Starting Member

Update, think I’m 180 out. Going to pull cap, manually rotate till it opposite from current line up. Cross fingers.

Old 04-08-2019, 05:54 PM
Starting Member

PARTY TIME! Ok, runs great again. Idles solid with no more shivers and shakes. Fuel trims are nice at idle (was reason to replace darn injection in first place, idled bad). Have not yet taken a real road trip to check for leaks but hey, one bridge at a time. Let me out right say it, I do not want to do that job again. That oil seep on front main seal can wait for my son and his friends to do it for a couple of 12 packs. This old man is wiped out.

Old 04-08-2019, 06:17 PM
BF Veteran

Awesome! Good to hear shes good again.

Old 04-08-2019, 06:32 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Glad you got it!

Kinda late now, but if you didn't take your hood off, I would recommend it. Just two bolts, (13 mm wrench on mine) and unplug the underhood light and washer nozzles. It's light enough and narrow that I was able to do it by myself. Gives you much more room and light under there.

I used a breaker bar and socket on the balancer bolt to roll mine around. Made it easy to see timing marks, since you're already laying on the ground

Quick Reply: Upper manifold cleaning questions