2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

valves discolored

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 02:23 PM
Beginning Member
TireGrit is on a distinguished road
Default valves discolored

When replacing the intake manifold gaskets, I noted that the drivers side valves were light golden brown in color, but the passenger side valves were nice and metallic/silver colored. What would cause this and does this indicate a problem??

Old 05-02-2010, 08:55 PM
midnightbluS10 can only hope to improve

What valves are you referring to? The only valves I can think of are the intake and exhaust valves, but you shouldn't have been anywhere near being able to see those.

So what is it?

edit: here's a pic. Describe what it is that you're referring to.

Last edited by midnightbluS10; 05-02-2010 at 09:01 PM.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:44 PM
Beginning Member

My mistake. I also replaced the valve covers (that's what I meant to describe) and when I had both of them off, the driver's side was light gold brown and the other looked metallic silver.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:19 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you are comparing the color of the rockers, springs, etc... I wouldn't worry about a variation in color there. Especially when you say they are silver on one side and gold/brown on the other. So long as things are not black, you don't really have anything to worry about.

I will explain the reason for the color difference for you to further put your mind at ease. The PCV valve is on the driver side. PCV = positive crankcase ventilation. It uses manifold vacuum to pull excess pressure/vapors off of the crankcase via the driver side valve cover. To make up the air pulled through the PCV valve, there is a fresh air makeup tube that connects to the passenger side valve cover. The reason for the color difference is likely due to the volatilized oil/air mixture that is being drawn from the crankcase through the driver side valve cover into the PCV system.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:36 PM
Beginning Member

Very informative and very simply explained. Thanks!!

Old 05-03-2010, 10:58 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I aim to please! LOL